Sr. Product Manager - Management and Developer Technologies
- San Mateo, CA
DataStax Enterprise is the only Big Data platform powered by Cassandra, the massively scalable NoSQL database. DataStax enables customers to run their most critical applications in a continuously available architecture, even across multiple datacenters and the cloud. We are a fast growing software company with over 200 customers, ranging from startups to 16 of the Fortune 100. DataStax Enterprise not only delivers production-ready Cassandra, but also goes one step further by integrating the best of breed Big Data technologies, Apache Hadoop for analytics, and Apache Solr for search. DataStax is headquartered in San Mateo, CA with development offices in Austin, TX and Sunnyvale, CA
The cool stuff you’ll do:
DataStax is looking for a senior product manager who wants to drive the direction and business for one of the top technologies in the hot big data space. This position will own all product management responsibilities for the management and developer drivers, tools and utilities for DataStax Enterprise and Apache Cassandra. Specifically, the emphasis will be on the following:
- Product Lifecycle Management - The position handles the gathering of requirements necessary for new/existing product feature introductions or improvements, assists in the management of the requirements phase of each functional enhancement (including functional/technical specifications), and finishes with the promotion and launch activities that surround introducing a new or existing product feature set to market. Technical duties can include mockups, testing, and other system engineering functions. Specific focus will be on DataStax OpsCenter and all developer client drivers/libraries and utilities.
- Strategic Research and Analysis – This key role performs the necessary research to build management and developer drivers, tools and utilities that exceed customer expectations. This includes full ownership of the product roadmap. In addition, he/she performs competitive analysis on rival products to maintain a competitive edge. Finally, the product manager seeks out new opportunities (business development, partner, etc.) for growth with respect to the areas of responsibility and works with internal areas to ensure success.
- Internal Support - The position works with various internal areas of the company such as the executive staff, sales, marketing, documentation, and others to ensure successful knowledge transfer occurs with respect to the areas of assigned responsibility. In addition, the role works one-on-one with internal staff members, such as sales and marketing managers, QA personnel, technical support, and others, to provide assistance with product-related issues. Finally, the product manager will be responsible for interfacing with customers, industry press and analysts, and others to promote DataStax solutions.
The stuff you’ll need to succeed:
- Seasoned product manager with an understanding of database administration and development. Database administration or database developer background preferred
- Proven track record of managing innovative and disruptive technology solutions, and creating strategic product roadmaps
- Able to be the voice of the customer within DataStax where management and developer solutions are concerned
- Capable of producing all product management documents including statement of direction, marketing requirements, functional specs, marketing collateral such as white papers, etc.
- Experience in NoSQL and big data technologies (Cassandra, Hadoop, Solr, etc.) would be ideal, along with background in legacy RDBMS’s/database offerings
- Outstanding customer and communication skills. Experience in handling press, industry analysts, and other media interactions
- Strong presentation skills for webinars, conference speaking events, and other such venues
- Able to write/blog on relevant industry topics
- Proficient at training internal groups (sales, etc.) on product features/benefits, as well as competitive offerings
- Work with sales on important customer accounts via onsite visits as well as remote
- Familiar with open source software a plus
- Thrives in fast-paced, startup environment
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.