Online Communications Specialist Vancouver
- Vancouver, Canada
Join the country’s most trusted environmental organization and become a force for good.
About us: We find solutions for living within the limits of nature. Through a combination of sound science and active public engagement, we seek to motivate Canadians to take action on the environmental challenges we collectively face. Our Foundation is an independent charity, supported by nearly 30,000 donors from across Canada and abroad. With headquarters in Vancouver and offices in Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal we address issues from coast to coast to coast, in both official languages. With the support of scientists, academics, progressive businesses, governments, non-governmental organizations and tens of thousands of Canadian we aim to achieve this vision: That within a generation Canadians act on the understanding that we are interconnected and interdependent with nature, and with each other.” We seek the best research to provide innovative solutions that will help build a competitive economy that does not threaten the natural services that support all life. You can learn more about us at www.davidsuzuki.org
The David Suzuki Foundation works through science and education to protect the diversity of nature and our quality of life, now and for the future. With a goal of achieving sustainability within a generation, DSF collaborates with scientists, business and industry, academia, government and non-governmental organizations. We seek the best research to provide innovative solutions that will help build a clean, competitive economy that does not threaten the natural services that support all life. An independent charity, DSF is supported with the help of some 40,000 individual supporters across Canada and around the world. You can learn more about the Foundation at www.davidsuzuki.org
About you: You are highly organized with a diversity of expertise in the areas of online strategy, social media strategy, online community development and web and print design. You also have a demonstrated commitment to environmental protection and social justice. Your degree is in multimedia design, communications or another related discipline. You are a keen learner, an experienced team player and an adept project manager.
Overall: This is a full-time 7 month term position, based in Vancouver, reporting to the Director-General Western Canada, with day-to-day supervision by the Western Canada Region Science Projects Manager. DSF offers a flexible work week and competitive compensation. The Online Communications Specialist serves as the Western Region's internal expert on web and social media matters related to the Foundation’s “Healthy Oceans” project, including responsibility for website development, social media campaigns, online ad development, preparing content for online audiences and assisting in the design and implementation of monitoring and evaluation of the above efforts.
Position Title: Western Region Online Communications Specialist
Terms: Full-time (based on 4-day work week) 7 months, based at our Vancouver office.
Reporting: The Online Communications Specialist reports to the Director General, Western Canada, with day to day supervision from the Science Projects Manager.
1. Content for websites
- Manage the coordination and flow of content for our Healthy Oceans project onto our website, social media channels, and other online properties
- Responsible for aligning online presence of the Healthy Oceans project with organization’s vision, goals and voice.
- Maintain subject matter expertise within web technologies to bring innovative ideas and plans for online presence back to the Healthy Ocean project team.
- Develop and promote best practices for online work within the framework of the DSF website for search engine optimization and usability
- Work with other Suzuki Foundation communications specialists to integrate our Healthy Oceans online strategies with other ongoing DSF projects for smooth project implementation.
- Work with Editorial Production Coordinator, Web Designer and the Healthy Oceans project team to decide on appropriate content, format, branding, and graphics.
- Write content based on templates when needed.
- Photo sourcing and management
2. Web development and design
- Hand-coding and content management system
3. Support the online acquisition goals of the Digital Strategy team
- Put in place effective strategies for tracking and analyzing online presence for the Healthy Oceans project initiatives.
- Extend these strategies to include meaningful improvements in overall online strategy
4. Social media
- Help to set goals and evaluate outcomes in support of online components of the Healthy Oceans project campaigns using relevant analytics.
- Develop and implement social media strategies for the Healthy Oceans project.
- Put in place effective strategies for tracking and analyzing online presence impact.
- Extend these strategies to include meaningful improvements in overall online strategy.
- Record and analyze monthly, quarterly and yearly analytics for web and social media.
- Provide reports and analysis on projects’ web content and social media outreach goals.
- Project manage video recording requests by coordinating and liaising with contractors, volunteers, and interns, managing and providing training on equipment, and on-site recording support.
- Assist Healthy Oceans project staff with their video production requests.
- Make sure equipment is in good working order.
5. Metrics and analysis
6. Audio/Video production
- Online and Print Advertising/Materials
- Determine relevant, cost effective online advertising strategies to support Healthy Oceans project objectives.
- Design online print ads.
- Manage service accounts for implementing online ad strategies.
- Assists in the development of online and print communications and marketing materials related to the Foundations ongoing project work, including collateral materials for media relations, marketing, and public engagement efforts as needed.
Other related duties as required.
Education and Experience
An undergraduate degree in multimedia design and communications or a related discipline is required.
Skill sets and qualities
- Two or more years of proven design and web development experience
- Proven communication design skills
- Demonstrated expertise in interactive design
- Strong understanding of usability and accessibility standards and techniques
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- Knowledge of Movable Type or other content management systems
- Highly creative and able to steward brand
- Detail oriented
- Able to work on tight deadlines
- Strong values aligned with DSF’s mission, demonstrated through work or community service;
- Empowering attitude: you are a positive team player who thrives and works well in a busy, dynamic and information-rich workplace;
- You have excellent communication skills; interpersonally and in public.
- Superb written and spoken English language skills required.
We welcome your cover letter and resume at http://www.davidsuzuki.org/about/employment/ by January 24th 2013. Your cover letter should explain why you are interested in this opportunity. Please quote job A2013 in the subject line and articulate your interest and how you meet the role criteria.