About you: You are highly organized with a diversity of expertise in the areas of online strategy, social media strategy, online community development and web and print design. You also have a demonstrated commitment to environmental protection and social justice. Your degree is in multimedia design, communications or another related discipline. You are a keen learner, an experienced team player and an adept project manager.
Overall: This is a full-time 7 month term position, based in Vancouver, reporting to the Director-General Western Canada, with day-to-day supervision by the Western Canada Region Science Projects Manager. DSF offers a flexible work week and competitive compensation. The Online Communications Specialist serves as the Western Region's internal expert on web and social media matters related to the Foundation’s “Healthy Oceans” project, including responsibility for website development, social media campaigns, online ad development, preparing content for online audiences and assisting in the design and implementation of monitoring and evaluation of the above efforts.
Position Title: Western Region Online Communications Specialist
Terms: Full-time (based on 4-day work week) 7 months, based at our Vancouver office.
Reporting: The Online Communications Specialist reports to the Director General, Western Canada, with day to day supervision from the Science Projects Manager.
1. Content for websites
- Manage the coordination and flow of content for our Healthy Oceans project onto our website, social media channels, and other online properties
- Responsible for aligning online presence of the Healthy Oceans project with organization’s vision, goals and voice.
- Maintain subject matter expertise within web technologies to bring innovative ideas and plans for online presence back to the Healthy Ocean project team.
- Develop and promote best practices for online work within the framework of the DSF website for search engine optimization and usability
- Work with other Suzuki Foundation communications specialists to integrate our Healthy Oceans online strategies with other ongoing DSF projects for smooth project implementation.
- Work with Editorial Production Coordinator, Web Designer and the Healthy Oceans project team to decide on appropriate content, format, branding, and graphics.
- Write content based on templates when needed.
- Photo sourcing and management
2. Web development and design
- Hand-coding and content management system
3. Support the online acquisition goals of the Digital Strategy team
- Put in place effective strategies for tracking and analyzing online presence for the Healthy Oceans project initiatives.
- Extend these strategies to include meaningful improvements in overall online strategy
4. Social media
- Help to set goals and evaluate outcomes in support of online components of the Healthy Oceans project campaigns using relevant analytics.
- Develop and implement social media strategies for the Healthy Oceans project.
- Put in place effective strategies for tracking and analyzing online presence impact.
- Extend these strategies to include meaningful improvements in overall online strategy.
- Record and analyze monthly, quarterly and yearly analytics for web and social media.
- Provide reports and analysis on projects’ web content and social media outreach goals.
- Project manage video recording requests by coordinating and liaising with contractors, volunteers, and interns, managing and providing training on equipment, and on-site recording support.
- Assist Healthy Oceans project staff with their video production requests.
- Make sure equipment is in good working order.
5. Metrics and analysis
6. Audio/Video production
- Online and Print Advertising/Materials
- Determine relevant, cost effective online advertising strategies to support Healthy Oceans project objectives.
- Design online print ads.
- Manage service accounts for implementing online ad strategies.
- Assists in the development of online and print communications and marketing materials related to the Foundations ongoing project work, including collateral materials for media relations, marketing, and public engagement efforts as needed.
Other related duties as required.