- Vancouver, Canada
Join the country’s most trusted environmental organization and become a force for good.
We find solutions for living within the limits of nature. Through a combination of evidence-based science and active public engagement, we seek to motivate Canadians to take action on the pressing environmental challenges we collectively face. With headquarters in Vancouver and regional offices in Toronto and Montreal, we address issues from coast to coast to coast, in both official languages. With the support of scientists, academics, progressive businesses, governments, non-governmental organizations and hundreds of thousands of Canadian we aim to achieve this vision: “That within a generation Canadians act on the understanding that we are interconnected and interdependent with nature, and with each other.”
Position: Communications Intern
Terms: Four-month term, based at our Vancouver office. Start date to be determined. Position dependent on funding.
Reports to: Communications Manager
Description: The Communications Intern will work within the David Suzuki Foundation's Communications Department to connect Canadians with our work and help build a community of leaders committed to taking action on sustainability. The Communications Intern will help with media relations, media monitoring, the production of timely written materials, and assistance with responding to emerging communications issues and crisis issues.
• Assist with proactive and reactive media relations including: helping to develop key relationships with media, identifying media opportunities across Canada, producing op-eds, letters to the editor and advertising.
• Prepare written materials for media, online and internal communications that help target our key audiences and are consistent with our communications strategy.
• Perform or assist with web development, online marketing, email marketing and database management.
• Assist with communications goal setting, testing, monitoring, and adaptation.
• Saving the planet and other related duties, as required
• Placements are full-time (35 to 40 hrs/week), 16 weeks in duration at $16/ hour
• Start date to be determined.
• Position dependent on funding and eligibility of candidate.
• Post-secondary graduates with proof of completion (min. 2 year diploma/degree)
• Between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive)
• Unemployed or underemployed
• Not in school
• Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident, or refugee
• Legally entitled to work in Canada
• Not a current beneficiary of EI
• Personal values well-aligned with the Foundation's demonstrated through work or community involvement
• Team player who wants to learn, takes direction and feedback well and thrives in a busy, changing, information-rich work environment
• Superb English-language skills, including ability to write quickly, clearly and strategically, with appropriate styles for different audiences
• Being awesome
• French-language skills, in particular reading and writing
• Knowledge of Canada's media landscape
• Pilot's license
Benefits to the Intern:
• Experience at one of Canada's most trusted organizations supporting one of Canada's top brands
• Learning from a dynamic communications team with experience in journalism, non-profits, U.S. and Canadian political systems and all levels of government
• The occasional free sandwich
Please submit your cover letter and resume explaining why you are interested in this opportunity by going online to: http://www.davidsuzuki.org/about/employment/ and clicking on the "I'm Interested" link. Rolling interviews will be conducted until the position is filled.
We recognize the importance of a diverse workforce and encourage applications from Aboriginal people, members of a visible minority and people with a disability.