Practice Group Director/Manager (Philadelphia, New York, or Washington, DC)
- 2929 Arch Street
Dechert LLP is a leading international law firm with 26 offices in the United States, Europe, Asia and the Middle East. Founded in 1875, the firm has more than 900 lawyers allowing us the resources to deliver seamless, high-quality legal services to clients wherever they do business.
The purpose of this position is to manage the administration of the Antitrust Practice Group (PG), allowing practice group leaders to focus on leading the practice group and on practicing law; support practice group leaders in the development and implementation of the group’s business strategy; provide a seamless quality of service to lawyers and timekeeping staff; understand the needs of lawyers and timekeeping staff in the group and communicate these to Regional Office Managers and Heads of Infrastructure (HOIs); and foster teamwork and provide a positive working and service environment for all involved in the Firm’s business or supporting those involved in the Firm’s business.
Client Matter Management:
- Ensures appropriate processes are followed for management of conflicts and risk including compilation of data such as sensitive securities risks.
- Sets up and oversees the resource allocation process for associates, staff attorneys, contract lawyers, and paralegals.
- Ensures coordination of appropriate knowledge management activities such as the end of matter extraction, scrubbing and storage of documents.
- Facilitates time entry as well as billing and collection by monitoring financial reports, following up with partners and staff, reporting to practice group leadership.
- Tracks paralegal, associate, staff attorney, counsel, and partner monthly recorded hours and partner financial performance.
- Ensures that lawyers and timekeepers have resources necessary to get the job done by working with the Office Managers, Global Word Processing and IT as appropriate.
Recruiting and Development:
- Works closely with Associate Recruiting & Development on all matters.
- Coordinates and administers the associate, staff attorney, counsel, and paralegal evaluation process in the PG.
- Keeps attorneys informed regarding professional conferences and seminars.
- Monitors CLE and State Bar association registrations to ensure timekeepers are up to date. Follows up appropriately.
- Works with recruiting to coordinate lateral hiring documentation and interviews.
- Works with Associate Development on retention and training programs.
Marketing & Business Development
- Liaises with marketing department on all matters relating to the Antitrust group’s national view in the marketplace.
- Provides feedback and information for ratings and rankings.
- Oversees the preparation of data for submission to ranking surveys.
- Develops processes for proper utilization of marketing functions, material updates and improvements.
- Works with Marketing Managers in the arrangement and execution of litigation client seminars.
- Oversees the implementation of the client satisfaction program throughout the litigation.
- Coordinates the PG partner candidate process including the arrangement of the meetings and the preparation of all related materials.
- Coordinates with Secretary to Partnership to ensure appropriate information provided to Partners for comp process and that all submissions are made on time.
- Works with PG leaders to prepare potential lateral partner hire reports.
Practice Group Management and Administration:
- Coordinates budgeting and business planning for the PG.
- Oversees compilation of information, analyzes data and creates monthly financial reports for the PG.
- Works with Finance Department in performance of special projects as assigned.
- Schedules and prepares for group orientations, training, retreats, and quarterly meetings.
- Serves on group committees.
- Oversees the maintenance of PG vacation schedule for partners, associates, staff attorneys, and paralegals.
- Oversees the coordination of all library orders and software licenses for PG.
- Ability to set structure where none exists.
- Diplomacy and the ability to get others to collaborate without overt use of authority.
- Ability to sell needs of the practice group to others.
- Creativity in developing solutions given practical constraints.
- Quantitative skills.
- Ability to multitask.
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred.
- JD or Master’s degree a plus.
- Relevant Law Firm or professional services operations and management experience.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to attracting a diverse group of the most talented professionals from all sources, regardless of background. We hire men and women with sharp minds, a passion for learning and a strong desire to develop. We want every employee at the firm to feel welcome with an equal opportunity to excel. Thank you for your interest in Dechert LLP.
To be considered, please submit your resume and cover letter, with salary requirements, using the 'I'm Interested' button.