Senior Engineer (Perl)
- Department: Technology
We're a continually growing, innovative and multi-award-winning wholesaler and distributor of communications, cloud, billing and hardware products and services.
We work in a fast-paced and exciting industry, where we have forged strategic partnerships and relationships with the UK's top telcos, networks, and vendors, including BT, TTB, Vodafone, Virgin Media O2, EE, CityFibre, Sophos, Microsoft and Samsung.
As a Channel-only business, we never sell directly to the end-user. Instead, we serve a market of independent resellers, which we proudly refer to as our partners.
We offer our partners a market-leading and comprehensive product portfolio, intuitive portals and platforms and a passionate team of industry experts.
We make a complex industry as simple as possible for our partners, enabling them with a commercial platform to sell the latest technologies and solutions to the resilient UK SMB market.
We have huge aspirations to challenge our industry and what we do, and we continuously dream big for the future. As a team of over 750 people, we're all immensely proud to work for a rapidly expanding company with an incredible culture that puts our team members and partners at the heart of everything we do.
- Department: Software Engineering
- Salary: DOE
- Location: Home based - Hull UK / Brno, Czech
About the role
To maintain and develop the product portfolio to meet our customers current and future requirements, whilst helping to drive forward a strong software engineering culture within the team.
- Collaborate with other Software Developers, Business Analysts and Software Architects to plan, design, develop, test, and maintain existing and new applications.
- Maintain high standards of software quality within the team by establishing or maintaining consistency with existing good practices and habits.
- Identify and encourage areas for growth and improvement within the team.
- Design, develop, and unit test applications in accordance with established standards.
- Participate in peer-reviews of solution designs and related code.
- Support deployment of releases.
- Adhere to DWS’s development principles while delivering solutions
- Develop, refine, and tune integrations between applications.
- Plan and implement strategies to migrate legacy code bases to modern standards and/or technologies
- Working closely with Development Project Managers and Business Analysts to produce accurate delivery estimates and manage the transition from analysis through to design and delivery.
- Directly or indirectly coaching, mentoring and development of more junior team members.
- Ensure awareness, involvement and support from the key stakeholders and participants by building strong project teams and maintaining robust communication on the project status throughout its life cycle.
- Analyse and resolve technical and application problems.
- Assist in the collection and documentation of user's requirements, development of user stories, estimates and work plans.
- Participate in reviews and meetings and provide updates on project progress.
- Contributing to post implementation reviews helping to demonstrate success or otherwise of projects
- Provide third-level support to business users.
- Prepare reports, manuals and other documentation on the status, operation and maintenance of software.
- Proven experience working in a Software Development role across the full software development lifecycle
- Passion for well designed, testable and efficient code using design patterns and quality development principles
- Experience of developing medium to large scale Perl applications
- Experience of a modern, web-based MVC framework e.g. Mojolicious/Dancer/Catalyst
- Experience of Version Control e.g. GIT
- Experience of Unit Testing, Integration Testing
- Knowledge of OOP, MVC, JSON/XML APIs
- Experience working with Relational Databases + ORM
- Familiarity with Mojolicious or CGI::Application
- CI/CD tools e.g. CircleCI/Jenkins etc.
- Backend Frameworks: CGI::Application and Mojolicious
- Databases: MySQL and SQL Server
- Version control: GitLab.com
- Package management: Carton/cpanm
- OS: Ubuntu Linux
- Webservers and Load balancers: HAProxy + Nginx
- Deployment: Rex and Capistrano
Giacom, DWS and Union Street are part of the same group of companies, bringing together three leading channel solutions in telecoms, cloud software services and cloud billing. Our aspiration is to be the number one supplier in the channel.
Your job role may be focused at one of the brands, but you will interact and impact across the wider group of companies.
What’s in it for you? Why should you come and work for us?
Our benefits consist of; no dress code (you, do you), days off for special life events, work from anywhere concept with occasional travel for training or meetings. Work with and learn from experts in the telecoms industry, a wellbeing and engagement team, 'if you want a career with us then grab it' concept, recognition and team/industry events as well as a whole host of other benefits which can be found on our website www.digitalwholesalesolutions.com on our Careers page.
We are an equal opportunities employer, and we positively encourage applications from all eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status or pregnancy or maternity.
We aim to ensure that all applicants are provided with the same opportunities during the recruitment process, and, to that end, we strive to comply with the duties placed upon us to make reasonable adjustments as prescribed by the Equality Act 2010. Should you have a disability or long-term health condition and require a particular adjustment to be made to allow you to fully participate in the recruitment process, please ensure you let me know.
Successful applicants will be required to undertake a Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) check, provide two references and proof of right to work in the UK, unrestricted.
Here are some of the benefits that we offer…
- 25 days holidays, plus bank holidays, and the option to purchase more!
- Employees Assistance Programme
- Professional development to help you achieve your personal goals
- Eye care vouchers available and discounted Medicash membership
- Access to discounts and savings at more than 1,200 retailers
- An additional day off on your birthday
For more information on our privacy notice please refer to our Privacy and Cookies Policy by following this link - https://digitalwholesalesolutions.com/privacy-and-cookies-policy/