Operations Systems Engineer-Tech Ops
- San Francisco, CA
Our client powers personalized shopping experiences for the world’s largest and most innovative retail brands, including Wal-Mart, Sears, Office Depot and others. Founded and led by the e-commerce expert who helped pioneer personalization at Amazon.com, our client helps retailers increase sales and effectively monetize site traffic by providing the most relevant products, content and offers to shoppers as they switch between web, store and mobile. Our client has delivered billions of dollars in attributable sales for its clients to date, and is accelerating these results with the introduction of a new form of personalized advertising called Shopping Media which allows brands to engage shoppers where it matters most – at the point of purchase on the largest retail sites in world.
Our client is looking for a top notch Systems Engineer with experience in web-scale infrastructure, monitoring and strong networking skills. The ideal candidate will have maintained networks, systems, and hardware in a high-availability production environment and have the ability to rapidly self-educate and be mentored on new concepts and methods.
- Principle: 100% customer satisfaction
- Support a global web presence in 12 data centers worldwide, and growing!
- Manage and monitor networking infrastructure (Force10 experience a plus). Install new switches, and configure, set up vlans, etc.
- Firewall administration (Juniper experience a plus)
- Rack/install new hardware at data centers. PXE/Kickstart and configure new systems
- Monitoring and administration of large, distributed infrastructure
- System updates and maintenance, software/hardware, asset inventory
- Participate in software deployments
- 5% travel (3-4 trips/year) – may include International travel
- Participate in on-call rotation schedule
Qualifications (As a Systems Engineer, this position requires all of the below skills & experience):
- BS/MS in CS or Engineering discipline or equivalent experience
- Self-starter and fast-learner
- Must have strong networking skills and experience. Ability to diagnose and troubleshoot LAN/WAN issues, understanding of routing, working with 3rd party vendors when required.
- Firewall administration. Set up VPN’s, manage rules, etc.
- 3-5 years production Linux administration (CentOS 6 a plus)
- Linux systems build and deploy
- Scripting with either Bash, Ruby, or Python
- Experience with hardware support, RAID, etc
- Team player - it’s a small team, and when needed at 1:00 AM, we work it together.
- Great communicator - we act as a team, we celebrate successes together and we brainstorm our way through challenges together
Additional Skills (should be strong in at least one):
- Experience with load balancers (HAProxy and/or nginx a plus)
- Hadoop, PostgreSQL experience is a plus!
- Hardware evaluation and specification; What’s new, what’s great?