- New York, NY
DonorsChoose.org engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, Oprah Winfrey and board member Stephen Colbert tell our story.
To date, teachers at half of all the public schools in America have posted classroom project requests on our site. Projects range from paper and markers for a poetry writing unit to violins for a school recital. More than 1,000,000 “citizen philanthropists” have supported such projects, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 9.2 million students from low-income communities. In all, we’ve generated $188 million for learning experiences designed by our country’s most dedicated public school teachers.
GOOD Magazine highlighted us as one of 30 Places We Want to Work, while Fast Company named DonorsChoose.org one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World—the first time a charity has made this list. Our culture is informal, fast-paced, and fun.
See more at www.donorschoose.org/jobs.
The Office Manager plays a critical, highly visible role in supporting the DonorsChoose.org mission- by maintaining a high-functioning office environment, and working to ensure that each staff member’s work experience is as rewarding and productive as possible.
With offices in NYC and San Francisco, and regional colleagues throughout the country, the Office Manager leads all of our space maintenance and supply/IT initiatives, in addition to supporting several human resource and staff development functions. The role encompasses a wide array of both recurring and ad hoc projects, but core responsibilities are as follows:
Office Administration & Management
• Managing office supply inventory, coffee machine supplies, furniture and equipment (including copy machines), decor and physical space.
• Point of contact for building manager and outside vendors (cleaning, security, IT vendors, etc.)
• Managing and training a part-time Human Capital Associate.
• Front desk reception duties - answering phones, greeting visitors, sorting/re-routing mail, depositing checks, and receiving packages when the Human Capital Associate is not in the office.
Benefits & HR Administration
• Benefits administration, including enrolling new hires, assisting in open enrollment, and updating status changes.
• Generating and maintaining personnel files, discretely handling confidential information.
• Managing email lists and accounts, as well as our internal wiki page.
Staff Development & Support
• Scheduling monthly all-staff meetings and planning events including retreats, conferences, and holiday parties and picnics.
• Administrative support for executive management team as needed (mailings, special projects, events, expense reporting, etc.).
• Coordinating weekly departmental updates, recognizing staff birthdays and anniversaries, assisting with professional development opportunities (brown bags, speaker series, etc.).
We’re seeking a team player who is flexible, dependable, professional, and resourceful. The ideal candidate is motivated by our mission and entrepreneurial, goals-driven team. Other requirements:
• Ability to gracefully and effectively handle quickly-changing priorities.
• Persistence; willingness to go above and beyond to help fellow colleagues through process improvements and development of systems and best practices.
• Fastidious attention to detail and organizational capabilities.
• Clear and consistent communication style, both written and verbal, and a strong work ethic are key.
• Well-versed in basic office/technology software, and excited to learn new applications and skills.
• Minimum of 2 years experience in fast-paced, startup-like office environment.
• College degree preferred, but not required.