Procurement Assistant – Uganda –ICYD Activity
- Kampala, Uganda
EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity, with a focus on vulnerable and under-served populations. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The goal of the five-year, USAID-funded Integrated Child and Youth Development (ICYD) Activity is for Ugandan children and youth, especially the most vulnerable, to receive the support and services necessary to lead resilient, healthy, and productive lives. The ICYD Activity is expected to achieve the following:
- Children and youth have improved learning outcomes;
- Children and youth are safe and healthy in their community and learning environments; and
- Youth practice positive behaviors and are able to make informed decisions about their lives and relationships.
Working in partnership with Ministry of Education and Sports (MoES) and Ministry of Gender, Labor and Social Development (MGLSD), district and zonal officials, and other Ugandan government and civil society partners, ICYD will comprise a series of activities to: support improved basic education for Ugandan children; address school-related and gender-based violence; facilitate enhanced child protection and support for vulnerable youth; provide support to HIV-affected orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) and their caregivers/families; and support HIV care and treatment outcomes in close collaboration with clinical and community structures. ICYD will also contribute to improved systems within the MoES and MGLSD to promote Early Grade Reading (EGR) and child protection.
The Procurement Assistant will assist the Senior Procurement Manager to manage project procurement and ensure compliance with EDC policy and procedures and USAID regulations in support of project activities at the ICYD project headquarters and 5 zonal offices. The Procurement Assistant will report to the Senior Procurement Manager. This is a full-time position based in Kampala, Uganda.
The Procurement Assistant is responsible for the following tasks, but not limited to:
- Generate and place purchase orders, create electronic receipts and maintain required proof of delivery documentation for orders as necessary;
- Support interface with customers, vendors, and administration finance offices as needed to provide quality assurance on purchasing transactions;
- Maintain proper documentation to verify that all procurements comply with USAID’s rules and regulations;
- Review invoice payments from vendors and compare to the terms of the purchase order or contract to ensure vendor invoices are accurate before submitting for payment;
- Provide support to ensure that procurement practices are in compliance with the project’s Policy and Procedures Manual and USAID rules and regulations;
- Work with suppliers to confirm receipt and status update of orders, investigate price/quantity discrepancies, coordinate the replacement, credit, and return of unsatisfactory deliveries; ensure completion of the procure-to-pay cycle; and escalate issues when needed;
- Support the preparation of the annual procurement plan with support from the Senior Procurement Manger, the DCOP, the finance and technical staff;
- Create and maintain the project inventory list in coordination with project management;
- Coordinate the development of local vendor list;
- Support project budget revisions by providing estimated pricing for goods and services;
- Actively participates in Collaborative, Learning and Adapting (CLA) processes in place within the project; and
- Conduct these and other tasks as required in support of ICYD Activity goals.
The candidate for the position of Procurement Assistant shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Social Sciences, or other related field.
Skills and Experience:
At least 3 years’ experience managing procurement processes in Uganda. Experience working with USAID-funded programs preferred;
Experience in competitive procurement of goods and services required (experience in administration of subcontracts and purchase orders strongly preferred);
Detail-oriented and organized;
Experience using computers and software at work, especially email and MS Word (experience with MS Excel highly desired);
Ability to work hands-on, independently, and within team in high-paced work environment;
Ability to travel frequently to zones and districts covered by the project.
Fluency in English is required.
Job closing date: February 5, 2021
Applications submitted without a resume or CV will not be reviewed.
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please.
EDC is committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
This announcement is made possible by the support of the American People through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The contents of this notice are the sole responsibility of Education Development Center, Inc. (EDC) and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.
Note: EDC doesn’t solicit for money from applicants at any level of the recruitment & selection process.