Technical Education and Skills Development Coordinator – Opportunity 2.0 Program
- Davao City, Davao del Sur, Philippines
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit organization that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity, with a focus on vulnerable and under-served populations. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
Opportunity 2.0 is a program funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) that will work with over 2,200 employers and at least 50 education or training institutions especially in major hubs like Metro Manila, Metro Cebu, and Davao and strengthen second-chance education programs for vulnerable out-of-school youth in the Philippines. Opportunity 2.0 will collaborate and work with national and local systems supporting youth in order to provide 180,000 youth with the skills and opportunities to improve their education, employment, and livelihood outcomes.
Achieving this vision will require a multi-faceted, systems-strengthening approach that aligns the formal education system, markets, and youth “sub-systems” at the regional levels. This will be achieved by providing experienced project personnel embedded in government departments; further aligning the input of technical assistance; and maximizing opportunities to bring together the respective stakeholders to identify and refine synergies and transition pathways for youth, particularly between Department of Education (DepEd)’s Alternative Learning System (ALS) program and the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA).
The TESD Coordinator will support the TESD Advisor in designing and ensuring quality implementation of the O2 approach to building institutional capacity at the various levels of TESDA to effectively implement and manage improved TESDA programs within the assigned hub.
The TESD Coordinator will be responsible for facilitating project coordination, planning and implementation activities with TESDA’s relevant departments/units and gather, manage, and feed information to the TESD Advisor for technical guidance and advice to the project management team, TESDA, Youth Development Alliances, as well as to USAID. S/he will assist in the conduct of activities to build necessary capacity across TESDA to use data to inform decision-making and improve implementation of training and education programs. S/he will also work with the Master Trainers to support and sustain the improvements of TESDA trainers in training program quality delivery that the activity will introduce. The TESD Coordinator reports to the TESD Advisor.
Under the guidance of the TESD Advisor, the TESD Coordinator’s specific responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
· Maintain effective contacts and project coordination activities with TESDA’s relevant offices, departments, and units within the assigned regional hub.
· Maintain effective partnership linkages with other government entities such as DepEd, DTI, DOLE, DOST, NEDA, CHED; and LGUs for effective project collaboration with TESDA within the assigned regional hub.
· Monitor technical program implementation as it relates to TESDA partnerships.
· Provide support/assistance to the Youth Development Coordinators on implementation of activities and technical support relating to technical education and skills programs within the assigned regional hub.
· Assist in monitoring quality assurance of technical services during on- going project implementation, by project partners as it relates to TESDA technical components.
· Co-facilitating regular meetings, joint planning, and implementation meetings with TESDA as well as in workshops, training of trainers and other relevant capability building activities for TESDA officials and trainers.
· Supporting monitoring of project collaborative activities with TESDA: tracking physical targets/ deliverables, ensuring quality assurance mechanisms are in place and operating effectively, ensuring clear linkages with the project’s M&E work.
· Provide support in learning agenda activities as they relate to TESDA technical activities.
· Prepare for regular updates and reports for the TESD Advisor on project planning and implementation issues and concerns that impact the project’s collaborative work/activities with TESDA.
· Participate in a multi-disciplinary team to assess, adapt, and implement the WRN!, WBL and other training programs.
· Assist in the adaptation and localization of the new WRN! curriculum modules and WBL instructional materials for TESDA’s 21st Century Skills curriculum.
· Provide support in adaptation workshop and Training of Trainers workshop (TOT) of the WRN! Curriculum/WBL toolkit/TESDA’s 21st Century Skills competencies with partner TVET (technical vocational education and training) institutions.
· Assist in the conduct of an adaptation workshop of an ICT technical skills training curriculum with ICT industry partners and with partner TVET (technical vocational education and training) institutions.
· Support and monitor delivery of the WRN! training, WBL activities, and ICT technical skills training activities at partner TVET schools/institutions.
· Assist in the formulation of Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs) that define roles and expectations between partners TVET schools and local employers, including ICT technical skills training partners in the project sites.
· Provide ongoing technical support and monitoring to TVET trainers in the project sites responsible for administering the O2 project model.
· Provide inputs or contribute information to periodic progress reports and annual reports showing achievements against set targets particularly relating to TESDA project activities.
· Participate in inter-agency coordination meetings, and special activities or events as appropriate.
· Participate in internal administrative and operational meetings, as may be required.
· Facilitate arrangements for organizing meetings, trainings, and workshops as it relates to TESDA collaboration activities.
· Comply with project and organizational policies on technical activities with regards to security, human resources, financial and grants management, the confidentiality of documents and information, and the like.
· Comply with EDC’s administrative and HR regulations, including policies and procedures on performance management and annual performance review.
· Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Organizational Relationships and Employment Status
· Reports to TESD Advisor
· Based in Cebu City or Davao City, Philippines with travel to other project sites
· Regular full-time employee
Bachelor’s degree in education, social development, economic and planning, or related field is required. A Master’s Degree in Technical Education or Technology Education or related field is an advantage
Skills and Experience:
· At least five (5) years relevant work experience in a project(s) similar to O2, with progressively increasing levels of responsibility.
· Experience working with TESDA national offices, good understanding, and familiarity of TESDA’s systems, programs, and processes.
· Skills and experience in curriculum and training aids development preferred.
· Special training and experience in TVET management and program delivery with knowledge on TVET Qualification Framework is an advantage.
· Demonstrated good facilitation and presentation skills.
· Able to work independently and in a team environment.
· Demonstrated capacity for coordination, networking, and task management.
· Excellent people skills at all levels, cultural sensitivity, and the ability to work in a multicultural work environment.
· Working knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel and preparing effective power point presentations.
· Willingness to work and travel in all project areas.
Working knowledge of Filipino language and local dialect(s), and excellent English language written and oral communication skills.
This position can be based either in Davao City or Cebu City. Applicants must indicate their preferred location. EDC will not cover relocation costs.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.