Game UI Artist
- Winston-Salem, NC
Epoch Games is a volunteer based, all-online, global game development team (we have no centrally-located headquarters). Most of the original founding members were modders developing the total conversion Middle Earth Roleplaying Project (MERP) mod for the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim:
Currently Epoch Games is developing The Lays of Althas: Sundered Order (LoA:SO). LoA:SO is an in-development indie open-world RPG set in an original fantasy world. The game is being developed using Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4 (UE4):
For more information about the game, please check out our IndieDb page:
NOTE: The address listed is N/A. We are a fully-online team with no central headquarters at this time. Communication is mostly done via Slack (an instant messaging application) and Trello (an online project collaboration tool).
In this volunteer position you will be asked to create a variety of high-quality 2D User Interface (UI) assets for the The Lays of Althas: Sundered Order (LoA:SO), such as a Heads-up Interface (HUD), in-game Menus and possibly the assistance of graphical design for promotional and/or web-related purposes. Past User Experience (UX) experience is recommended, but not required.
It is also recommended (but not required) that you have experience in developing motion graphics as well as experience using Unreal Engine 4 (UE4), particularly Canvas and/or Slate UI programming. UE4 is still a fairly new engine, so we are not expecting most applicants to have experience, but we do expect them to at least learn the basics.
Communication is key to a smooth and efficient pipeline. You must be able to communicate clearly and effectively with other team-members and not be afraid to ask should any problems arise. We are an English-speaking team, so English fluency is a must.
If you are comfortable with teaching, you may be called upon to aid the more junior members of the team in terms of UI, UX and/or Graphical Design.
Other duties include following team policies (given upon acceptance to the team) as well as attending meetings via Slack (our instant message program that we use to communicate)
This is a volunteer position, so no monetary compensation is being offered. At this time, we are having to rely upon free (or previously licensed) software. Please refer to the applications listed below for guidelines. We do not endorse piracy in any shape or form.
Here are some examples of our UI work. We are looking for candidates that can at least reach the same skill level:
- Our Pause Menu:
- Our Inventory Menu:http://media.indiedb.com/images/games/1/26/25337/Promo_InventoryB.jpg
- Our Game Icons:http://www.indiedb.com/games/the-lays-of-althas-sundered-order/images/sample-ui-icons
- Graphic Design experience (although we are looking for applicants who believe they can match the same skill level as per the Job Description)
- Communication and Team-collaboration skills
- Former Game UI and HUD Design experience
- UX usability experience
- Motion Graphic Design experience
- Unreal Engine 4 experience (particularly with Canvas and/or Slate UI programming)
- Unreal Engine 4: you must be able to run Unreal Engine
- SVN: you must be able to SVN install our project (subversioning, so everyone on our team can have a recent build of the project), so that you can see current builds of our project. If you don't know how to use it upon joining the team, that's fine: we can provide you with procedures on the process.
- Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash or equivalents
- Adobe After Effects, Premiere or equivalents