C++ Game Programmer
- 3320 Silas Creek Pkwy, Winston-Salem, NC 27103, USA
Epoch Games is a volunteer based, all-online, global game development team (we have no centrally-located headquarters). Most of the original founding members were modders developing the total conversion Middle Earth Roleplaying Project (MERP) mod for the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim:
Currently Epoch Games is developing Lays of Althas: Sundered Order (LoA:SO). LoA:SO is an in-development indie open-world RPG set in an original fantasy world. The game is being developed using Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4 (UE4):
For more information about the game, please check out our IndieDb page:
NOTE: The address listed is N/A. We are a fully-online team with no central headquarters at this time. Communication is mostly done via Slack (an instant messaging application) and Trello (an online project collaboration tool).
In this volunteer position you will be working closely with other members of the Coding department to develop C++ code for the Lays of Althas: Sundered Order (LoA:SO). Keep in mind that we are using Epic Game’s Unreal Engine 4 (UE4) to develop the game, and knowledge of how C++ code interacts with UE4 is required. Knowledge of Blueprint scripting in UE4 is recommended, but not required.
Communication is key to a smooth and efficient pipeline, you must be able to communicate clearly and effectively with other team-members and not be afraid to ask should any problems arise. We are an English-speaking team, so English fluency is a must.
If you are comfortable with teaching, you may be called upon to aid the more junior members of the team in any relevant area.
Other duties include: attending Slack meetings (Slack is an instant messaging we communicate with); completing monthly reports; and following team policies.
This is a volunteer position, so no monetary compensation is being offered.
At this time, we are having to rely upon free (or previously licensed) software. Please refer to the applications listed below for guidelines. We do not endorse piracy.
Minimum Skill Requirements:
C++ programming experience.
- Unreal Engine 4 and how C++ code interacts with it
Providing clear and legible code.
Online communication and Team-collaboration skills.
A passion for coding and a dedication to creating AAA quality games.
- At least 1 Unreal Engine project (using C++) prepared to show prior to the interview.
Optional Skill Requirements:
- Blueprint scripting experience
- Unreal Engine 4 (https://www.unrealengine.com/register)
- GitHub (https://www.unrealengine.com/ue4-on-github)
- GitLab (what we use for version control of our project)
- Eclipse IDE for C++ (http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/eclipse-ide-cc-developers/lunasr1), Visual Studio Community 2017 (https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/), and/or Notepad++ (http://www.notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.6.6.html)