- New York, NY
Founded in the 1930’s, Fairway Market is one-stop shopping at its best. From the everyday brands you know and love to the exotic foods no one else has. Fairway Market is one of the highest grossing retailers per square ft. in the United States. At the moment we have 12 locations and are constantly expanding (as we look to open 3-4 stores a year for the next 5-6 years). The company currently has stores in the Tri-State Area (New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut). Fairway provides excellent opportunities in kosher, organic, specialty and traditional groceries. Our stores consist of multiple departments which include but are not limited to the Front End, Bakery, Deli, Organics, Vitamin, Seafood, Receiving, Cheese, Meat, Kitchen, Coffee, Dairy and more.
To give excellent, friendly, upbeat customer service while serving a wide variety of food products and drinks. To clean and organize the table areas to keep customers happy, and complete shift duties. This position requires adhering to all procedural guidelines set by the Food Service Department.
Escort customers to their tables.Take orders from patrons for food or beverages.
- Present menus to patrons and answer questions about menu items, making recommendations upon request.
- Inform customers of daily specials.
- Explain how various menu items are prepared, describing ingredients and cooking methods.
- Prepare tables for meals, including setting up items such as linens, silverware, and glassware.
- Check with customers to ensure that they are enjoying their meals and take action to correct any problems
- Stock service areas with supplies such as coffee, food, tableware, and linens.
- Fill salt, pepper, sugar, cream, condiment, and napkin containers.
- Remove dishes and glasses from tables or counters, and take them to kitchen for cleaning.
- Comply with Health Department Regulations.
- Fulfill all shift duties.
- Required frequently: standing, walking, kneeling, squatting, bending, reaching, lifting up to 30 lbs.
- Communicates openly and honestly with all others in the organization.
- Communicates respectfully at all times.
- Does not expose customers to internal disagreements.
- Resolves conflicts respectfully and in a timely manner, asks for assistance from appropriate supervisor as needed.
- Communicates needs promptly and efficiently.
- Participates actively in department team and all-staff meetings.
- Stays informed by reading all communications from the General Manager, managers, HR, and in department log books
- Reports for scheduled shifts, on-time and ready to work.
- Understands and adheres to organizational and department policy and procedures.
- Accepts and offers feedback and suggestions openly and respectfully.
- Accepts direction willingly and follows through with delegated tasks.
- Learns and adapts to new tasks or situations quickly and cooperatively.
- Maintains job-related confidentiality.
- Takes initiative to identify, report and resolve problems before they escalate.
- Operates with a sense of teamwork; incorporates into daily job.
- Provides a positive model for co-workers.
Quality of Work:
- Understands technical requirements of job, applies technical knowledge consistently.
- Performs tasks accurately and efficiently, free from errors.
- Performs all tasks according to department procedure.
Quantity of Work:
- Performs tasks consistently at an acceptable rate as outlined by department supervisor.
- Organizes tasks efficiently, maintains focus and stays productive.
- Achieves established goals and expected results for the department.
- Maintains safe work environment according to all department procedures, federal and state regulations.
- Wears protective clothing as required for position.
- Knows and adheres to Fairway's expectations for external and internal customer service as outlined in Employee Handbook.
- Offer product samples and suggestions for purchase and preparation in a friendly, courteous manner.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos [in English]. Ability to write simple correspondence [in English]. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other associates of the organization who only speak English.
- Must have basic math skills which include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to brighten someone's day with a positive attitude, positive outlook and constant smile.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as department manual.
- Ability to adapt to the ever changing high volume retail while working in a cross-functional team environment
- Ability to prioritize tasks, multi-task, balance friendliness with efficiency, and maintain focus.
- Must be able to work morning shifts, early afternoon and weekends.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Previous customer service experience.
- 1yr of prior restaurant experience.
- Successful candidates must have a working knowledge of all phases of food preparation, including both hot and cold prep.
- Must have good working knowledge of food quality, hygiene and sanitation, kitchen safety and food presentation.
- Knowledge of food delivery and presentation in order for customers to trust your comments, advice or feedback.