Adoption Reunion Registry Intern (Master's Level- UNPAID)
- Atlanta, GA
Families First is Georgia’s leading non-profit family service agency. We assist over 40,000 children, women and families each year, and we have been serving metro Atlanta for 120 years. Our mission is to ensure the success of children in jeopardy by empowering families.
Everything our agency does is about strengthening families—all kinds of families with all kinds of needs. We foster strong communities by delivering empowering and sustainable solutions to children and families—solutions that improve child well-being and family self-sufficiency. Families First accomplishes this by focusing on three impact areas:
- Child & Youth Permanency – to ensure long-term stability and support, we provide adoption, foster care and residential group homes for children whose lives have been disrupted.
- Family Sustainability & Empowerment – we work collaboratively with other organizations to provide self-sufficiency through housing and supportive services for chronically homeless families.
- Healthy Families & Relationships – we offer training and affordable counseling solutions to equip parents and families with critical skills to build healthy and strong relationships.
This is an Unpaid Internship. Interns must currently be enrolled in school.
This position is for a Master of Social Work student at a fully accredited college or university.
The Adoption Reunion Registry Intern is primarily accountable for providing pre- and post- adoption reunion services to adult adopted persons, birth parents, and siblings separated by adoption and adoptive parents of minor children as specified by the Official Code of Georgia (19-8-23f).
It is essential that this position develop knowledge and clinical skills regarding the issues commonly associated with adoption, adoption search and reunion and aftermath of reunion. This position must have an understanding of Georgia laws regarding search and reunion, and practice within the legal boundaries of the law.
Maintaining confidentiality of our clients is mandatory.
- Provide accurate information about our services to clients through phone and direct contact and guide clients through process of contracting our services.
- Answer and log all calls promptly and refer clients to other resources as needed.
- Facilitate searches for birth family members by initiating phone contact, conduct search process and follow up with clients after decision is made. Record all progress/contact in progress notes.
- Provide consultations to clients as needed/ requested and write summary of consultation for Care Logic.
- Write non- identifying summary reports and provide follow up to clients regarding questions about their summary and/or search process.
- Provide outreach presentations as IMPACT panel member to share information about our services with prospective adoptive parents.
- Maintain client records from first contact to closure with supervisor review.
- Write non-identifying summary reports and cosultations for supervisor's review
- Document client contact for outreach presentations and conferences, administer /submit accurate sign in sheets and surveys
- Other duties as required.
- Masters of Social Work student
- Interest in or understanding of adoption and adoption searches
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Families First provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, sex, age, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, citizenship status, disability or any other legally protected status. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, compensation, benefits, training, termination, promotions, or any other condition of employment or career development.
If you are an individual with a disability and require accommodation to complete any part of the application process, are limited in ability, or unable to access or use the online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline at 404-853-2876 or email email@example.com for assistance.
Families First is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to Affirmative Action and Workforce Diversity.
Families First participates in E-Verify.