Community Support Liaison (Social Worker)
- Atlanta, GA
Recognizing that civil society depends on strong communities and healthy families, in 1890 Lucetta Lawson and Sarah Grant responded to the challenge for social justice in Atlanta by organizing and building an orphan’s home for young homeless girls living on the city’s streets. The Leonard Street Orphan’s Home was the cornerstone for Families First and its 100 plus year history of strengthening and preserving families and building healthy communities. By addressing the needs of individuals as well as each individual’s relationship within their family structure, Families First fills a niche in metropolitan Atlanta, evoking our sense that if as caring, cooperative human beings we work together we can make our city, region and nation a better and safer place for all.
Empowering families, children and communities to achieve this possibility and potential is both the history and vision of Families First.
Rooted in a tradition of listening and responding to the changing needs and social problems that confront the family structure, Families First’s impressive list of achievements include establishing Georgia’s first adoption agency, first foster care agency as well as the state’s first family counseling agency. Today, Families First is Georgia’s largest family-serving nonprofit agency, operating 11 programs that touch the lives of more than 38,000 individuals each year. The organization is guided by the vision of a strong, vibrant, supportive community where all children and families flourish. The mission of Families First is to ensure the success of children in jeopardy by empowering families, with the ultimate goal of transforming communities. The organization’s services are structured into three key impact areas:
Child and Youth Permanency – Families First offers adoption (special needs, domestic, and international), foster care, permanency cooperatives (also known as residential group homes), mentoring and other services to help ensure long-term stability and a supportive environment for children and youth whose lives have been disrupted;
Family Sustainability and Empowerment – Families First works collaboratively with housing developers to offer transitional and permanent supportive housing, support services and training to promote family self-sufficiency;
Healthy Families and Relationships – Families First equips parents and families with critical skills for building strong, flourishing family relationships through parent education, concrete support, and affordable behavioral health services.
The part time Community Support Liaison is responsible for providing family driven resident services and community engagement strategies to building a network of community members; encouraging and supporting resident participation in activities and events that increase the social capital and empowerment in the communities identified by Families First. The overall goals of the position are to increase individual and familial assets and employment resources; enhance community engagement, and, progress toward greater self reliance. This position will also provide very limited case management and seek to promote effective community engagement strategies in the areas of asset development, youth development, physical and mental health, community education resources, and social activities.
- Coordinate community events and groups in collaboration with approximately fourteen (14) property managers
- Encourage and support client participation in activities and events that increase social capital in the designated community
- Identify, facilitate and support community leadership
- Bridge relationships between the community and other relevant organizations and foster partnerships that support community goals
- Refer clients to additional mental health, substance abuse and co-occurring services
- Coach clients in self-sufficiency skills, fatherhood initiative, employment, education, and asset development, etc.
- Coordinate community events and groups in collaboration with community partners
- Ensure all case records are current by reporting ongoing contacts, trainings attended, referrals, and resources offered
- Maintain complete and current documentation on all clients in CareLogic and/or other required databases
- Submit monthly reports to Supervisor
- Participate in staff development and all required Agency meetings
- Other duties as assigned
- Masters degree in social service field preferred (i.e. social work, counseling, child and family services, human services)
- Bachelors degree in social services with a minimum of two (2) years of case management experience or social services experience will be considered.
- Minimum one (1) year experience community, electoral, or labor organizing experience
- Strong organizational skills and commitment to community focused organizing models.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and challenge community leaders and build campaigns that connect local issues with broader public policy issues
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in Outlook and Microsoft Word and other Software Packages
- Flexibility (evenings and some weekend work; travel required)
Families First provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, sex, age, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, citizenship status, disability or any other legally protected status. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, compensation, benefits, training, termination, promotions, or any other condition of employment or career development.
If you are an individual with a disability and require accommodation to complete any part of the application process, are limited in ability, or unable to access or use the online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline at 404-853-2876 or email email@example.com for assistance.
Families First is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to Affirmative Action and Workforce Diversity.
Families First participates in E-Verify.