Research Associate II, Immuno-Oncology Discovery
- 111 Oyster Point Blvd, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
Five Prime Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: FPRX) is a publicly traded, clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on discovering and developing innovative immuno-oncology protein therapeutics to improve the lives of patients with serious diseases. Our industry-leading drug discovery platform, which includes comprehensive proprietary libraries of the extracellular proteome and differentiated screening capabilities, has led to a pipeline comprising five development programs in clinical trials across multiple indications in 2019. We also have several undisclosed research programs that have the potential to yield our next wave of development-stage therapeutic biologics. And we continue to fuel this process using our proprietary screens to discover new immuno-oncology targets.
Five Prime is committed to innovation and outstanding science to develop effective new drugs for the treatment of severe diseases. We value our culture of openness, collaboration and productivity. Discover more about FivePrime at www.fiveprime.com.
We are seeking a talented and highly motivated Research Associate to join our Immuno-Oncology Discovery group and work as part of the larger Research team aimed at discovering and developing novel antitumor agents. This position reports to Senior Scientist in Immuno-Oncology Discovery.
- Perform in vitro immune-relevant cell-based functional assays as well as biophysical and/or cell-based binding assays using standard assay techniques such as alphaLISA/ELISA, Luminex, microscopy, and flow cytometry.
- Execute high-throughput biophysical and cell-based screens to discover novel therapeutic targets.
- Isolate primary human immune cell populations from blood and culture ex-vivo.
- Culture and engineer cell lines and prepare reagents and test agents as specified in approved protocols.
- Exercise basic technical discretion to troubleshoot experiments.
- Review data, prepare reports, and communicate experimental results to manager and in team meetings.
- Coordinate and execute on assigned tasks by interacting with multi-disciplinary teams
- Maintain and complete documentation of all experimental procedures and data in an electronic laboratory notebook.
- B.S. or M.S. in Cell Biology, Immunology, or equivalent scientific discipline with 1-2 years (with M.S.) or 3-4 years of hands-on laboratory experience in an industrial or academic setting
- Proficiency with in vitro/ex vivo cell-based techniques including isolation of primary human immune cell subsets, mammalian cell culture, transfection, cell-based functional assays, flow cytometry, Western blot, and alphaLISA/ELISA is required
- Experience with myeloid cell populations such as monocytes, dendritic cells, or macrophages is preferred
- Experience with automated liquid handling systems and processes is a plus
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills, with the ability to interpret and clearly understand SOPs and laboratory procedures
- Detail-oriented, analytical with excellent problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to collaborate in a team-oriented environment
- Diligent, strong growth mindset with positive “can-do” attitude towards assigned tasks
- Good planning and organizing skills to meet deadlines
At FivePrime, we believe a diverse workforce drives our success as a company. We are always working to create an environment where different backgrounds and viewpoints are valued and celebrated.
FivePrime is an equal opportunity employer. FivePrime makes employment decisions, including in recruitment and selection, without consideration of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or disability.