Chief People Officer
- South San Francisco, CA, USA
Five Prime is a clinical stage biotechnology company relentlessly focused on rewriting the narrative for people with cancer. By tackling the tough scientific questions and untapped pathways, we aim to offer new hope by developing novel, breakthrough therapies that have potential to alter the course of disease in cancers with few treatment options. This vision is what defines us, and guides our research, clinical development and partnerships. To build a better tomorrow for people with cancer, we are teaming up with patients, physicians, scientists, and industry partners to make a meaningful difference in patients’ lives. Five Prime collaborates with leading global pharmaceutical companies and has therapies in pre-clinical and clinical development. For more information, please visit www.fiveprime.com.
At Five Prime, we are relentlessly focused on rewriting the narrative for people with cancer. We tackle the tough scientific challenges with optimism and courage. Rather than pursue the well-trodden path, we explore untapped pathways that have potential to deliver truly novel, breakthrough treatments for cancers with few options.
Together with patients, physicians, scientists, and industry partners we start each day looking for ways to advance science and use our expertise to develop cancer treatments that provide a fresh start and renewed hope for people facing the challenges of cancer.
We do things in a way that truly matters for patients. We embrace this spirit with pride; with action over words. We bring boldness, passion and commitment to each decision in the fight against cancer, however big or small. We are committed to transforming a cancer diagnosis from a foregone conclusion to a more hopeful future. Let’s rewrite the cancer story. Together.
FivePrime is seeking an experienced Chief People Officer (VP/SVP) who will be a key member of the Executive Team reporting directly to the CEO. The successful candidate will build an innovative, effective, best-in-class organization and reimagine FivePrime’s corporate values, and inclusive people-first, entrepreneurial culture to drive our business strategy. The HR leader will also interface with the Compensation Committee and Board of Directors and possess a strong background in culture development, DE&I, designing and implementing organizational structures, strategic talent planning and acquisition, organizational and employee development and total rewards strategy.
- Partner with and provide thought leadership to the executive team and senior management to align the organizational structure, people practices, and communication with the company’s strategy and culture.
- Provide vision, leadership and oversight to develop strategies and best practices that promote a culture of inclusion, equity and diversity where all individuals are able to thrive.
- Develop progressive and proactive total rewards strategies and programs to motivate, incentivize and reward employees to foster high performance and engagement.
- Lead the development and oversee the implementation of FivePrime’s compensation philosophy, including the mix of cash, short-and long-term incentives, equity compensation and other rewards.
- Evaluate and advise on the impact of strategic planning and growth initiatives on attracting, motivating, developing and retaining employees.
- Create and oversee programs to enhance organizational development, talent management and employee growth including training programs, performance management, and reward and recognition tools.
- Develop and oversee talent acquisition plans and efforts to identify and recruit diverse top talent within and outside of the company.
- Develop strategic organizational plans that include organizational and job design, workforce planning, talent development and succession management.
- Manage and facilitate FivePrime’s goal-setting process; ensure effective management and setting of goals throughout the organization that are appropriately tied to corporate goals and employee performance.
- Identify opportunities and help leaders elevate their leadership and management practices that reflect the values and culture of the company and foster outstanding performance for individuals and teams.
- Provide human resources technical advice, knowledge and leadership to others within the human resources group and the overall organization. Oversee the development of human resources operations, systems and processes that will scale to support the organization as the company continues to grow and improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the company.
- Develop and maintain appropriate policies, procedures and programs for effective management of employees and to ensure compliance with applicable law.
- Provide leadership in interactions with the Compensation Committee of the Board of Directors, to include leading the development of agendas and presentation materials in concert with the CEO, coordinating with the Committee’s external compensation consultant, and partnering with the General Counsel and CFO to support analyses for and advice to the Compensation Committee.
- Partner with the Legal and Finance functions to ensure HR processes and systems meet local, state, federal and corporate compliance requirements including Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX) compliance, and in preparing disclosures in the company’s annual proxy statement, including the Compensation Discussion and Analysis section, and other SEC filings.
- Background and Experience: An undergraduate degree (advanced degree preferred) and 15+ years HR experience with a minimum two years’ experience as the top HR executive in a small to mid-sized company or an independent division of a large company. Relevant public company experience in biotech (preferred), pharmaceutical or life science industries.
- Strategic and Innovative Leadership: Track record of developing and implementing HR strategies, programs and initiatives that support strategic objectives within an innovative environment.
- Collaborative: Highly collaborative with proven ability to partner with diverse stakeholders at all levels of the company. Outstanding partnership, influencing and negotiation skills.
- Influential Communicator: Manifests trust, and is known for ethics and integrity. Possesses excellent communication skills and a strong personal internal and external presence.
- Results and Solutions Focus: able to sort through information and rapidly develop creative, clear and concise solutions. Must be comfortable setting priorities and executing on goals and commitments in a fast-paced dynamic environment where ambiguity and change are present.
- People Leadership: at least 5 years of direct management experience and proven ability to lead, motivate, coach and inspire diverse and cross-functional teams. A strong commitment to developing others with experience driving and supporting development and training, performance management, succession and talent management.
- Technical Knowledge: Strong knowledge of executive compensation, corporate governance and investor relations, including the preparation of the Compensation Discussion & Analysis section of proxy statements, “Say-on-Pay” proposals, the impact of compensation philosophies, processes and decisions on corporate governance and the role of proxy advisory firms (e.g. ISS and Glass Lewis). Working knowledge of employment, benefits, wage and salary laws and SOX compliance requirements
At FivePrime, we believe a diverse workforce drives our success as a company. We are always working to create an environment where different backgrounds and viewpoints are valued and celebrated.
FivePrime is an equal opportunity employer. FivePrime makes employment decisions, including in recruitment and selection, without consideration of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or disability.
Five Prime acknowledges that providers may be a valuable resource for identifying and recruiting candidates for employment. However, we require that all recruiters engage directly with Five Prime’s Talent Acquisition Team and comply with Five Prime’s requirements prior to transmitting any resumes/CVs or introducing any candidates to Five Prime. Five Prime’s Talent Acquisition Team is the only function within the Company that can enter into contractual relationships with external recruiters and recruiting agencies. As such, all unsolicited resumes, CVs, anonymous profiles, or candidate information you may submit to employees of Five Prime will become property of Five Prime and Five Prime will have no obligation to pay you or anyone else for the use of such information, including any finder’s, placement, introduction or placement fee.