Director of Intellectual Property
- South San Francisco, CA, USA
Five Prime is a clinical stage biotechnology company relentlessly focused on rewriting the narrative for people with cancer. By tackling the tough scientific questions and untapped pathways, we aim to offer new hope by developing novel, breakthrough therapies that have potential to alter the course of disease in cancers with few treatment options. This vision is what defines us, and guides our research, clinical development and partnerships. To build a better tomorrow for people with cancer, we are teaming up with patients, physicians, scientists, and industry partners to make a meaningful difference in patients’ lives. Five Prime collaborates with leading global pharmaceutical companies and has therapies in pre-clinical and clinical development. For more information, please visit www.fiveprime.com.
At Five Prime, we are relentlessly focused on rewriting the narrative for people with cancer. We tackle the tough scientific challenges with optimism and courage. Rather than pursue the well-trodden path, we explore untapped pathways that have potential to deliver truly novel, breakthrough treatments for cancers with few options.
Together with patients, physicians, scientists, and industry partners we start each day looking for ways to advance science and use our expertise to develop cancer treatments that provide a fresh start and renewed hope for people facing the challenges of cancer.
We do things in a way that truly matters for patients. We embrace this spirit with pride; with action over words. We bring boldness, passion and commitment to each decision in the fight against cancer, however big or small. We are committed to transforming a cancer diagnosis from a foregone conclusion to a more hopeful future. Let’s rewrite the cancer story. Together.
Five Prime seeks an experienced patent attorney to counsel the business on diverse intellectual property matters and to drive Five Prime’s global patent strategy. Working closely with colleagues throughout the organization, this role requires a motivated and creative self-starter that shares our commitment to bringing new therapies to cancer patients.
As a trusted advisor to the business, the Director of Intellectual Property will partner with various functions throughout the company to identify opportunities to protect intellectual property and to provide patentability, freedom-to-operate and other legal opinions and risk assessments.
- Conduct due diligence analyses and provide relevant counsel to support business development and transactional matters as needed.
- Play a key role in supporting business objectives and decision-making by providing clear guidance to scientists and senior leadership.
- Develop and execute strategies for protecting intellectual property related to Five Prime’s late-stage research, development and clinical-stage programs.
- Work with and manage outside counsel to prepare and prosecute patent applications to build and expand robust global intellectual property portfolios covering protein and antibody therapeutics. In many instances, these responsibilities will be carried out in cooperation with external partners and collaborators.
- Work independently and collaboratively with other members of the Legal Department to negotiate and draft agreements, including licensing and collaboration agreements, MTAs and CDAs.
- Provide analysis and interpretation of existing agreements to effectively manage and operate within active partnerships.
- Other responsibilities may include overseeing our trademark portfolio, managing publication clearance, and supporting records management programs.
- 5-8 years of experience as patent counsel in active large molecule patent prosecution, including patent application drafting and prosecution in a pharma or biotech corporation and/or representing such clients in a law firm
- Admission to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- J.D. and admission to a state bar
- An advanced degree in the biological sciences
- Significant agreement and transactional experience
- Ability to explain complex legal issues to audiences from other functions
- Strong knowledge of domestic and international laws, regulations, and practices relating to patent procurement, enforcement and defense
- Excellent judgment and ability to influence others
- Resilient and results-oriented
- Excellent negotiation and communication (oral and written) skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage diverse projects
- Ability to work independently and on teams, including cross-functional teams
At FivePrime, we believe a diverse workforce drives our success as a company. We are always working to create an environment where different backgrounds and viewpoints are valued and celebrated.
FivePrime is an equal opportunity employer. FivePrime makes employment decisions, including in recruitment and selection, without consideration of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or disability.
Five Prime acknowledges that providers may be a valuable resource for identifying and recruiting candidates for employment. However, we require that all recruiters engage directly with Five Prime’s Talent Acquisition Team and comply with Five Prime’s requirements prior to transmitting any resumes/CVs or introducing any candidates to Five Prime. Five Prime’s Talent Acquisition Team is the only function within the Company that can enter into contractual relationships with external recruiters and recruiting agencies. As such, all unsolicited resumes, CVs, anonymous profiles, or candidate information you may submit to employees of Five Prime will become property of Five Prime and Five Prime will have no obligation to pay you or anyone else for the use of such information, including any finder’s, placement, introduction or placement fee.