Desktop Technician/Operations Support
- Jacksonville , FL
Fortegra Financial Corporation, an insurance services company, provides insurance-related products and distribution and administration services in the United States. The company was formerly known as Life of the South Corporation and changed its name to Fortegra Financial Corporation in 2008. Fortegra Financial Corporation was incorporated in 1981 and is based in Jacksonville, Florida
The Desktop Tech/Operations Specialist is responsible for the deployment and support of IS technologies and infrastructure. Along with the daily support of trouble tickets, the Desktop Tech/ Operations Specialist will be responsible for the support of specific technologies within the areas of hardware, software, networking and iSeries. This individual will apply proven communication, analytical and problem-solving skills to help identify, communicate and resolve malfunctions and make the appropriate recommendations in order to maximize the benefit of IT systems investments.
- Field incoming help requests from end users via both telephone and e-mail in a courteous manner.
- Install, configure, test, maintain, monitor, and troubleshoot end user workstation hardware, software, networked peripheral devices, cabling, and networking hardware and software products.
- Monitor nightly backups, prepare tapes for offsite storage, order tapes for restores.
- Record, track, and document the help desk request problem-solving process, including all successful and unsuccessful decisions made, and actions taken, through to final resolution.
- Identify and learn appropriate software and hardware used and supported by the organization.
- Perform hands-on fixes at the desktop level, including installing and upgrading software, installing hardware, implementing file backups, and configuring systems and applications.
- Perform preventative maintenance, including checking and cleaning of Servers, workstations, and peripherals.
- Test fixes to ensure problem has been adequately resolved.
- Perform post-resolution follow-ups to help requests.
- Develop help sheets and frequently asked questions lists for end users.
- Perform on-site analysis, diagnosis, and resolution of complex server and desktop problems and recommend and implement corrective solutions, including off-site repair for remote users as needed.
- Assess the need for and implement performance upgrades to servers and workstations including the installation of CPUs, I/O and NIC cards, hard disks, RAM, CD-ROMs, and so on.
- Collaborate with LAN technicians/network administrators to ensure efficient operation of the company’s desktop computing environment.
- Ensure that physical desktop connections (i.e. RJ-45 Ethernet jacks, RJ-11 telephone modem jacks, connectors between PCs and servers, etc.) are in proper working order.
- Prepare tests and applications for monitoring server and desktop performance, and then provide performance statistics and reports.
- Develop and maintain an inventory of all server, workstation, peripheral equipment, network equipment and security devices.
- When necessary, liaise with third-party support and equipment vendors.
- Aid in development of business continuity and disaster recovery plans, and maintain current knowledge of plan executables. Respond to emergency network outages in accordance with business continuity and disaster recovery plans.
- Support development and implementation of networking projects and new technology installations.
- Support project managers, systems administrators, and end users to define iSeries systems goals, and identify and resolve systems issues.
- Develop and document research, data retrieval, and data analysis methodologies for use by other personnel.
- Develop strategies for improving the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems or for further leveraging these systems.
- Assess need for any security reconfigurations (minor or significant) and execute them if required.
- Keep current with emerging security alerts and software updates.
- Conduct research on emerging products, services, protocols, and standards in support of operational initiatives and security enhancement efforts.
- Coordinate and perform in-depth tests, including end-user reviews, for modified and new systems.
- Analyze day-to-day functions and processes of software and database resources to ensure they are performing within predetermined guidelines, limits, and specifications.
- Identify and resolve operating system issues in order to maintain services, enhance capabilities, and prevent system outages.
- Administer and maintain end user accounts, permissions, and access rights.
- Manage and ensure the security of databases and data transferred both internally and externally.
- Design, implement, and report on security system and end user activity audits.
- Prepare and deliver reports, recommendations, or alternatives that address existing and potential trouble areas in operating systems across the organization.
- Bachelors degree preferred or combination of work experience and college
- 5 years help desk/desktop support experience
- Experience with virtualization
- Backup/Disaster Recovery for Windows systems (Symantec Backup Exec)
- Hands-on hardware troubleshooting experience.
- Knowledge of basic computer hardware.
- Working technical knowledge of current protocols, operating systems, and standards, including Windows XP, Vista, 7, Server 2003, Server 2008 TCP/IP.
- Ability to operate tools, components, and peripheral accessories.
- Able to read and understand technical manuals, procedural documentation, and OEM guides.
- Extensive application support experience with Microsoft Office.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with a focus on rapport-building, listening, and questioning skills.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Proven experience in the operation and analysis of iSeries hardware, software, and standards, as well as data transfer methodologies and applications.
- Extensive experience with core iSeries software applications.
- Working technical knowledge of current systems software, protocols, and standards, including TCP/IP, FTP, HTTP and TELNET.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and mathematical skills.
- Hands-on experience with devices such as hubs, switches, and routers.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent listening and interpersonal skills.
This is a full-time, benefit eligible position.
Must be able to provide periodic on-call support for evenings and weekends.