Payroll and Benefits Administrator
- Vancouver, Canada
The Fortius Institute
The Fortius Institute is an integrated team of sport medicine, science and training leaders committed to best practices in prevention, performance, treatment, education and research. Our institute is resident at the Fortius Athlete Development Centre in the Central Valley Sports Complex in Burnaby, British Columbia. The Fortius Institute, a truly-integrated single professional business unit, is part of Fortius Sport & Health.
A sport culture strengthened by athletes achieving their full potential and realizing the life-long benefits of sport.
To help transform sport and health on the strength of the most efficient and effective integration of sport medicine, science and training expertise.
Reporting to the Manager, Human Resources the Payroll and Benefits Administrator will be responsible for all payroll functions including the preparation, distribution and reporting processes for payroll. The incumbent will work closely with Human Resources to ensure a seamless integration between HR and Payroll for all new hires, changes to existing team members and benefits administration as well as the implementation of HRIS and Payroll systems. This role oversees the calculation of wages, overtime, and deductions to ensure compliance with federal and provincial laws. Other priorities for this individual will also include process and policy development, improvements and streamlining for the rapid increase in salary and hourly hiring to ensure the most effective use of resources.
- Oversee the day-to-day payroll activities and priorities to ensure all deliverables are achieved by the required timelines
- Prepare and process payroll for all team members (salaried, hourly, sessional and contractors) including withholdings and remittances
- Calculate and track all team member taxable benefits, overtime payments and vacation accruals
- Ensure all contractor invoices are paid as per agreements
- Develop and maintain all processes and procedures for payroll (salary, hourly, contractors and sessional)
- Develop and manage policies, procedures and internal controls for payroll related activities for all team members
- Develop and produce periodic payroll reporting of earnings, taxes and deductions to various internal and external users
- Collaborate with Human Resources and Finance with policies and procedures when developing and implementing programs such as Worksafe BC compliance and seasonal hourly workers
- Work with the Managers within Finance and Budgets & Financial Planning to ensure proper identification, documentation and accounting for payroll contracts and transactions
- Responsible for managing the annual completion of T4, T4A and T4NR documents
- Reconcile CRA tax remittance accounts on a timely basis
- Calculate and remit source deductions including income taxes, CPP, EI, RSP, Bonus, WCB and other benefits as applicable
- Ensure all benefit billings are reconciled and paid on a timely basis
- Work with Human Resources to provide high quality service to all team members
- Respond promptly to team member and other internal and external inquiries
- Other duties may be assigned as required
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- Post-secondary diploma or certificate in the finance or accounting field
- 3-5 years’ experience working a payroll administrator role
- A member of the Canadian Payroll Association
- Strong understanding of all issues related to the operation of a payroll function.
- Experience with development and implementation of payroll system would be an asset
- Experience in developing payroll policies and procedures
- Experience with payroll taxation issues required
- Excellent organization, time-management, and computer skills (including strong excel skills) are essential
- Extremely high degree of attention to detail and accuracy of output.
As a member of our Fortius Institute team, individuals must consistently demonstrate the following:
- Delivery of an exceptional client service experience alongside Institute colleagues
- Commitment to the principles of integration, collaboration and innovation
- Focused on continuous professional development and maintaining expert knowledge in the field
- Embodiment of a philosophy of professionalism, excellence, health and wellness at all times
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Capacity to use time and resources effectively and efficiently
- Dedicated orientation towards results
- Ability to work in a diverse, fast-paced and dynamic environment
We appreciate your interest in Fortius Sport & Health and we will review your application as soon possible. Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. As part of our professional commitment to privacy, all candidate information will be kept in the strictest of confidence.
All successful candidates will be subject to background check, including criminal and education verification.