Lead Automation Engineer – Application Hosting
- San Francisco, CA
At Gap Inc. IT, we value innovation and thrive on the opportunity to fundamentally change the shopping experience for our customers through leading technology. We look for fresh perspectives and experienced professionals who then have the opportunity to work with thought leaders across the business and IT.
Our team members are not just innovators in the technology space; our success is measured by our ability to drive operational and top-line improvement for our brands. If you thrive in a solutions oriented environment, then consider joining our team!
This technical position will require hands-on software development scripting skills for automation and system engineering/software development experience for deploying and supporting hosted applications. The candidate needs to be detail-oriented candidate with strong analytical, problem solving and organizational skills that with only general direction can work from specifications to design, develop, or modify application platforms via automation. Leverages technical, people and leadership skills to lead and drive the completion of tasks or projects. This position will be a member of the team that provides the thought-leadership to effectively deploy, automate and hosting applications at Gap for production and development environments. This position requires both deep and broad experience with open source software in an enterprise setting. Software development experience would be a definite plus.
• Responsible for owing the application platform providing technical thought leadership, system engineering oversight, as well as configuration and support activities across all application platforms (i.e. web, application, portal, etc.)
• Hands-on lead engineer position that involves managing a complex and diverse application platform environment via automation, application configuration and deployments, defining/creating application alerts, monitoring and tuning for a large and diverse enterprise application environment
• Review technical requirements to build, configure and support an optimal and integrated private cloud enabled application platforms that meets or exceeds technical, performance and application requirements
• Establish close working relationships with the application developer, Build Engineers, Infrastructure Engineers, etc. and understand their business and technical requirements. Support all phases of application development, testing and deployment activities including Agile, Continuous delivery, Continuous Integration/testing, etc. Also provide rotating production on-call support to ensure business SLA’s and implement corrective actions
• Must be ready and able to learn new skills and technologies quickly, active collaborate with others for delivery, self directed for your deliverables with strong drive for results, and work on multiple priority tasks and deliverables concurrently
• Demonstrated experience in the application platform system engineering with strong knowledge of Java applications, Tomcat, Apache, JBoss, JMS queues and other open source software
• Solid experience and proven automation ability in ANT, Ruby, PERL scripts, Shell Scripting, Chef/Puppet, Jython/jacl, Mave, etc. Also automation experiences in a continuous integration or continuous deployment environments a plus
• Ideal candidates will have detailed knowledge in UNIX shell scripts, UNIX system concepts, VMware/KVM/XEN, Java, J2EE, Oracle databases, networking, Configuration Management tools, Nagios, etc.
• Demonstrated experience in project development and operation support activities for large enterprise projects and technical environment. Proven ability to support, monitor and tune applications on virtualized computing environment
• 7+ Years of relevant experience in Unix/Linux, etc.
• Working experience in an Agile software development or infrastructure environment
• Good customer service skills supporting Developers, System Engineers and Operations.
• Web and Java (J2EE) application development experience including Eclipse IDE, EJB, etc. is a plus.
• Bachelors Degree in Information Systems, Engineering or Computer Science or equivalent education and experience.