COMMUNICATIONS FIELD SUPPORT OFFICER VOLUNTEER (CAMBODIA)
- Phnom Penh, Cambodia
About Good Return
Good Return's mission is to enable those living in poverty to achieve economic empowerment through responsible financial inclusion and capability development. We do this by engaging with partners across the Asia Pacific, where two-thirds of the world’s poor live. We help them deliver better financial services and economic opportunities to those living in poverty.
Our work focuses on promoting responsible inclusive finance, building financial capability & consumer empowerment, and developing smallholder agribusiness solutions. We also deliver interest free loan capital raised from the Australian public. Together these powerful tools empower people to create lasting change for themselves.
Good Return is an initiative of World Education Australia, an Australian Aid accredited agency and member of the Australian Council for International Development (ACFID).
Good Return has no religious affiliations. Visit www.goodreturn.org.au for more information.
About our partners
We have been working in partnership with various Financial Service Providers across the Asia Pacific Region since 2010. Our current partners are located in Cambodia, Philippines, Indonesia, Fiji, Tonga & Nepal.
Please visit our website (www.programs.goodreturn.org.au) for further information on our partners.
FSO Program objectives
The objectives of the Field Support Officer (FSO) Volunteer Program are for FSOs to:
- Gain valuable experience living and working in a developing country as part of a professional team
- Assist with the implementation of Good Return and partner objectives and specific programs
- Strengthen relationships with partners by enhancing communication and coordination
- Support Good Return’s communications and marketing
The FSO Program has enabled previous volunteers to build their careers in the international development sector, with a number now in paid roles both in Australia and overseas.
The Communications Field Support Officer (FSO) role will work to enhance engagement with Good Return programs and support program development in the following areas:
- Coordinate and develop creative and engaging digital content
- Produce blogs, newsletters, infographics, images, cinemagraphs, website content and copywriting
- Conduct field interviews & case studies
- Produce and curate strategic social media content
- Take photographs and film video, often in rural project locations
- Produce content that meets Good Return editorial standards, is accurate and reflects Good Return values and brand as well as ACFID guidelines
- Assist with sourcing high quality photographs and videos liaising with external providers
- Assist with collaborating with departments and providers to gather content and identify narratives and stories aligned to Good Return's program development strategy
- Direct report: Regional Program Manager
- Good Return: Cambodia regional team, Creative Writer & Media Officer, Digital and CRM Producer. Contact with the Sydney Office primarily via Skype.
Start Date & Duration
- Start date: April 2017 (4-day Induction training conducted at Good Return Sydney office prior to commencement of placement)
- Duration: 12 months (from time of placement in country)
- Workplace location: Good Return regional office, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Hours and days of employment: Normal working hours as per Good Return regional office (38 hours a week). There may be occasional weekend activities (e.g. trainings, awards days) throughout the year.
- Time off: 30 days (including local public holidays) accrued throughout the year; to be taken prior to placement completion date
- Language: English
Citizenship: You must be an Australian citizen or have permanent residency to apply for this position. Applicants not meeting this requirement will not be considered.
Essential skills & experience:
- Ability to develop quality digital content
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Flair for creative and strategic storytelling
- Knowledge of online communications and social media
- Ability to take photos and video
- At least basic skills in digital graphics and photo editing
- At least 1 year work experience (paid or unpaid) relevant to Good Return’s program areas, such as international development, media, publicity, communications, journalism, finance/banking, or adult education
Desirable skills & experience:
- Website content maintenance with WordPress
- Graphic design skills
- Photograph editing skills
- Video editing skills
- Adobe CS experience
- Analysis and reporting on content/ industry benchmarking
- Knowledge of the buyer's journey and inbound marketing principles
- Independent living or travel experience, preferably in a developing country
The following essential personal qualities are required to effectively perform this role:
- Independence and resilience
- Cross-cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Patience, tolerance and open-mindedness
- Responsible (for own actions, upholding integrity)
- Initiative and ability to adapt to isolated settings with limited resources
- A sense of humour!
- Health and security considerations: Refer to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) Smart Traveller website: http://smartraveller.gov.au/Countries/asia/south-east/Pages/cambodia.aspx
- Telecommunications: Several mobile phone and internet operators
- Housing: Apartments are the main housing option, possible to rent with other expats
Allowances & support
- Induction training at Sydney office (4 days)
- Health check and vaccination expenses
- Visa expenses
- International airfares at the commencement and conclusion of the assignment
- Initial accommodation arranged; it is the responsibility of the FSO to secure long-term accommodation
- First 2 monthly allowance payments paid in advance to assist with set-up costs in-country
- Orientation support (negotiating lease agreements, shopping options, etc.)
- Support, monitoring and security guidance from Supervisor and Good Return regional & Sydney offices
- Monthly allowance (to cover living and accommodation expenses)
- Language allowance
- Travel insurance, including medical and emergency evacuation coverage
- Mid-point review & training (5 days) conducted at Sydney office (incl. return international flights)
- Professional development opportunities
- Debrief held over weekend at Sydney office following conclusion of placement
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications can be submitted by selecting the 'I'm interested' link below.
Applicants should provide a CV and a cover letter that clearly states your Australian citizenship/permanent residency status and addresses the selection criteria listed in the full position description, along with your phone and Skype contact details. Cover letters can be included in the messages section or uploaded together with a CV file.
Please indicate whether you hold Australian citizenship or permanent residency and how you heard about this position.
Enquiries can be directed via the Good Return website https://goodreturn.org.au/contact/
Applications close: COB Friday 17 February 2017
Note: Recruitment will commence immediately, please apply as soon as possible.
Note: Good Return is a child safe organisation. The successful candidate will be required to comply with our child protection policy, and will be subject to pre-employment checks which include a Criminal Record Check and Working with Children Check.