Gender Advisor – Volunteer
- Crows Nest, Australia
Good Return provides people living in poverty with access to responsible microfinance and skills development opportunities. This enables them to develop the confidence, knowledge, and capability to break the cycle of poverty for good.
We support microfinance institutions to improve their social responsibility and extend financial inclusion to everyone in their communities. Our financial and livelihood training help them manage money and grow their assets. Together these powerful tools empower people to create lasting change for themselves.
Good Return is an initiative of World Education Australia, (WEAL) an international development agency accredited by Australian Aid and a member of ACFID. We work in our Asia Pacific neighbouring countries, where two-thirds of the world’s poor live.
WEAL recognises that advancing gender equality & women’s empowerment is crucial to reducing poverty, increasing the effectiveness of aid, and is a development goal in its own right. One of our key organisational commitments is the promotion of gender equality and the empowerment of women through our project partners.
We are seeking a volunteer to provide strategic advice and technical assistance in developing Good Return’s knowledge, capacity and systems in terms of gender.
- Location: Crows Nest office (Sydney) or Eltham office (Melbourne)
- Time Commitment: 1 day per week, 1 year commitment, commencing early July 2015 (one day handover in late June)
- Reports to: Program Director
- Research and provide brief written updates on current literature (incl. programs, projects, initiatives, research projects etc.) related to best practices approaches to gender enhancement within the international development, and in particular microfinance, sector
- Provide technical input on key program and policy documents and processes from a gender perspective
- Support gender mainstreaming in Good Return, particularly the roll out of the Gender Audit process and the implementation of the Gender Action Plan
- Deliver Gender Awareness Training to Good Return staff (half-/whole day session)
- Provide technical guidance on conducting (a) (Rapid) Gender Analysis reports in Good Return’s partner country locations; (b) Gender Awareness workshops with partner organisation staff; and (c) Gender Audits with our partner organisations
- Enhance GR monitoring, evaluation and learning systems and approaches to gender.
- Represent GR in external sectoral events and networking opportunities (eg. ACFID) as necessary
Required Skills and Experience
- Strong understanding of gender theories and practices in international development
- Experience in field-based international development work (e.g. project management, evaluation, workshop facilitation)
- Strong research and analysis skills
- Clear and succinct written and verbal communication style
- Experience in reviewing and revising policies, as well as action planning
- Experience formulating and conducting Gender Audits
- Experience delivering gender awareness training to a variety of stakeholders
- Ability to work with a range of individuals and groups across various organisational levels/teams and geographical locations
- Familiarity with microfinance and responsible inclusive finance approaches is desirable
- Facilitation skills would be highly valued
Please note you must be an Australian citizen or have permanent residency to apply for this position.
Applications can be submitted by selecting the 'I'm interested' link below.
Applicants should provide their Resume and a cover message addressing how they meet the criteria for the position.
Applications close: COB Friday 31 July 2015
Please direct any application questions via the Good Return website https://goodreturn.org.au/contact/