- 601 Erieside Ave, Cleveland, OH
At Great Lakes Science Center, we make science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) come alive to feed the inner sense of curiosity for guests of all ages. We believe in the value of using real scientific challenges through opportunities to invent, design, tinker and create to encourage curiosity and experimentation. The Science Center remains committed to developing informal science education programs that inspire young minds, improve STEM literacy and cultivate the creative, critical thinkers who will shape the future of Northeast Ohio.
The Exhibit Designer is responsible for the 3-dimensional design of GLSC temporary and permanent exhibitions. The position has the responsibility of working with the exhibit developer, in-house and outside fabricators, and evaluation teams to co-develop the production of memorable visitor experiences. This position is responsible for the visual and physical representation of exhibit themes, topic areas, and specific exhibits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Advocate for the audience and as such committed to the visitor experience
- Works with the exhibit developer and fabricator(s) to translate concepts and ideas into meaningful visitor experiences by conceptually understanding, organizing and integrating intellectual and physical content through prototyping and modeling
- Coordinates all aspects of exhibit design throughout the process which brings imaginative design solutions to the team and reliable estimates of their costs
- Provides clear, timely construction documents, instructions, and specifications to fabrication staff and outside contractors
- Provides design oversight and documentation for outside contractors and ensures final products meet criteria
- Develop and oversee project construction drawings, specifications, and schedule for fabrication and installation of exhibits
- Ensures that all products meet construction, electrical, ADA and all other codes
- With the VP of Exhibits and Production Manager, review, repair and upgrade of all exhibit areas
- Provide highest quality, on-time, on-budget design of exhibits
- Researches new materials, products and design approaches; shares these with the team and applies to projects
- Provides design materials for fund raising efforts, reviews and presentations, including conceptual drawings, floorplans, and computer modeling, in a professional timely manner
- Participates in the creation of departmental procedures
- Participates in the creation of project scope of work, budget and schedule milestones, and exhibit design criteria
- Works toward the general professionalism in the department
- Keep a clean, well-organized, functional work space and desktop
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Education and Work Experience Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Design or equivalent discipline
- Three years of related experience in interactive exhibit design, and familiarity with exhibit evaluation and a knowledge of scientific and technological fields
Additional Eligibility Qualifications (K/S/A):
- General PC knowledge and use of search engines
- Intermediate to expert proficiency with Outlook, Word, Excel and Adobe
- Excellent design, expert in CAD and construction materials and techniques
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.