Electrical Technician for HVDC Transmission System
- Buffalo, MN
Great River Energy is a not-for-profit cooperative which provides wholesale electricity to more than 630,000 member-consumers, or approximately 1.7 million people, through 28 member distribution cooperatives in Minnesota and Wisconsin. With $2.8 billion in assets, Great River Energy is the second largest utility in the state, based on generating capacity, and the fifth largest generation and transmission (G&T) cooperative in the United States. Great River Energy’s member cooperatives range from those in the outer-ring suburbs of the Twin Cities to the Arrowhead region of Minnesota to the farmland of southwestern Minnesota. Great River Energy’s largest distribution cooperative serves more than 120,000 member-consumers; the smallest serves just over 2,400. For more information, visit www.GreatRiverEnergy.com.
We are seeking an Electrical Technician for HVDC transmission system at our Dickinson Converter Station in Buffalo, MN. This position provides for the operation, installation, testing, checkout and maintenance of critical equipment so maximum reliability can be achieved.
* Administers overall workgroup activities and directs and/or assists in the maintenance and installation of the equipment at the Dickinson Converter Station such as instrumentation, control, protections, monitoring, networking, thyristor valves, water treatment, heating and cooling, AC and DC power systems, fire protection, security system, building equipment, structure and associated equipment.
* Assigns and tracks work order(s) or job assignment(s) to the workgroup(s). Gives direction to one or more technicians in the work group.
* Develops and updates maintenance procedures along with maintaining equipment records in area of responsibility.
* A two-year technical degree in electrical or computer or electronics related courses.
* Prefer a minimum of four years experience in the operation and maintenance of a HVDC converter station.
* Knowledge of high voltage electrical equipment.
* Knowledge of pneumatics and hydraulics.
* Skill and ability to use personal computers and related software including test equipment software, asset management software, Windows-based programs, and email.
* Skill and ability to maintain various types of mechanical equipment.
* Skill and ability to read circuit diagrams, prints and drawings.
* Ability to distinguish colors on wires, control panels and equipment.
* Ability to perform “switching personnel” duties when required.
* Ability to be self-motivated and be able to work alone without direct supervision.
* Ability to maintain a valid driver’s license to perform the essential job functions.
The ideal candidate is self-directed and possesses strong problem solving and decision making skills, demonstrates the ability to communicate honestly and provide timely responses to issues, be receptive to feedback and willing to learn. The successful candidate will demonstrate strong interpersonal skills, and possesses solid verbal and written communication abilities.
We offer competitive wages, excellent benefits, state certified apprentice program, and opportunity for professional growth. Application deadline is August 29, 2014. An EEO/AA Employer.