- Any City, Any State, United States
- Employees can work remotely
Grist is a nonprofit, independent media organization dedicated to highlighting climate solutions and uncovering environmental injustices. Since 1999, we have used the power of journalism to engage the public about the perils of the most existential threat we face. Now that three-quarters of Americans recognize that climate change is happening, we’ve shifted our focus to show that a just and sustainable future is within reach. As Grist’s solutions lab, Fix seeks to amplify and elevate the work of emerging climate leaders by combining creative storytelling with network-building and events.
Grist seeks a paid, part-time intern (20 hours/week) with interest or experience in journalism or climate justice to join the Fix team. This 10-week assignment is set to begin in mid October, with exact timing negotiable.
Supporting Fix’s editorial team, the intern will primarily help produce the 2022 Grist 50 — an annual list that celebrates the innovators and visionaries working on equitable solutions to the climate crisis.
As intern, you will:
- Organize, research, and vet nominations for the Grist 50 list
- Request and organize photos for the Grist 50 list
- Work with Fix’s program assistant to maintain and update a database of Grist 50 honorees
- Research and contribute ideas for Fix’s digital magazine issues and newsletter
- Contribute ideas and content for social media
- Copyedit and fact-check stories and newsletters as needed
- Report and write short profiles of Grist 50 honorees as needed
- Provide general support to the Fix storytelling, networking, and events teams as needed
You’re well-suited for this role if you’re a self-starter, hyper-organized, and have a passion for Fix’s mission. Bonus points for a sense of humor and a fondness for spreadsheets. Interns are typically enrolled at a college or university while interning.
To apply, please submit a résumé and cover letter explaining why you’d be a great fit for the Fix team in general and the Grist 50 in particular.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Cultivating an inclusive staff is central to Grist’s focus on advancing equity. We’re interested in hearing from people who can work with diverse colleagues of varied experience. Candidates of all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Grist is an equal-opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.