Senior Audience Producer
Grist is a nonprofit, independent media organization dedicated to highlighting climate solutions and uncovering environmental injustices. Since 1999, we have used the power of journalism to engage the public about the perils of the most existential threat we face. Now that three-quarters of Americans recognize that climate change is happening, we’ve shifted our focus to show that a just and sustainable future is within reach.
Over the past four years, Grist has scaled from a Seattle-based team of 20-25 to a nationally distributed organization of ~60 with a growing budget. Grist’s strategy centers on climate, justice, and solutions, and we implement our mission through two areas of work: Our award-winning editorial program and our work to transform talent and representation within environmental storytelling. Grist was recently awarded the National Magazine Award for General Excellence. In addition, Grist was named best small newsroom by the Edward R Murrow Awards in 2022 and the Online Journalism Awards in 2021 (among dozens of other awards and nominations).
Grist is seeking a Senior Audience Producer to join the organization’s Innovation & Growth team. The Senior Audience Producer will work across the organization to reach and engage readers with Grist’s journalism, wherever they may find it – including, but not limited to, search, social, and newsletters.
The right person for this role not only follows climate and environmental news closely, but has a finger on the pulse of emerging social trends and distribution opportunities. You can turn a story on a new climate report into informative and engaging social content, and help design the graphics to go along with it. You can write a captivating headline for social, and an equally interesting, SEO-friendly version for search. You can craft compelling newsletter subject lines and are eager to contribute to our big-picture newsletter strategy. Last but not least, you take a reader-centric approach to your work, and are excited about better understanding audiences’ information needs and digital habits.
The Senior Audience Producer is one of the leading voices for our journalism, so we are looking for someone who has sharp news judgment, strong writing skills, and the ability to collaborate well with employees across different teams throughout the organization.
This role reports to the Director, Innovation & Growth.
The annual base pay for this position is between $86,870 to $95,000 depending on experience. Grist is based in Seattle, but the job doesn’t have to be. We have staff around the country. This position is represented by Pacific Northwest Newspaper Guild Local 37082 (“Grist NewsGuild”).
- Elevate Grist’s journalism across platforms, from newsletters to search and social.
- Manage all of Grist’s existing social accounts, and actively seek opportunities to establish a brand presence on new and emerging platforms.
- Identify timely, newsworthy opportunities to re-promote our archival content.
- Help curate our suite of newsletters.
- Collaborate across the organization to create distribution plans for feature projects.
- Identify target audiences, and establish strategic engagement plans to better reach and serve those communities.
- Conceive and pitch social-first storytelling opportunities.
- Oversee community management and engagement on social platforms.
- Regularly review performance metrics across platforms, and turn those insights into action plans.
- Have a strong understanding of content SEO, and regularly audit editorial content to make sure it is optimized for search
- Help produce and promote audience events, alongside our senior events manager.
- Assist in the creation of graphics, GIFs, and other social media assets.
- Provide newsroom training to colleagues on best practices for search and social.
Qualifications & Essential Skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in journalism, English, communications or related field preferred
- At least 4 years professional experience writing, editing multimedia, digital and/or social images and video clips.
- Prior experience working in a fast-paced dynamic newsroom on deadline highly desirable
- Passion for news and social media and a love of experimentation.
- Experience increasing reach and engagement at a news or other professional business organization
- Expert-level experience with social media management applications like Sprout Social.
Applicants must submit a resume and cover letter explaining why you’re a great fit for this position. Applications without both a resume and cover letter will not be considered.
Total compensation package includes a competitive benefits package, including medical, dental and vision insurance. No phone calls, please.
Cultivating an inclusive staff is central to Grist’s focus on advancing equity. We’re interested in hearing from people who can work with diverse colleagues of varied experience. Candidates of all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Grist is an equal-opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.