Performance Engineer - SAMSUNG
- Burnaby, Canada
SAMSUNG IS THE FUTURE…JOIN US!
Do you believe in the power of technology to help shape a brighter future and a stronger global community? Are you inspired by the possibilities? Are innovation, camaraderie, and the pursuit of excellence part of your innate drive? Then you've got what it takes to succeed at Samsung.
What Drives You:
You are an innovative, dynamic individual looking for an environment with the agility of a startup and the resources of a well-funded company. You want to personally make a difference building products that not only delight customers but also achieve market success. You want to join an all-star team being formed right now, and help build our technology stack. You are a hacker at heart, but have the professional maturity to know what it takes to develop well-architected high-quality products using best practices of software engineering. You have the leadership skills to take technical ownership of major parts of the system while mentoring junior developers and shaping team culture and processes.
The Enterprise Services Platform & Infrastructure team is looking for world class server software engineers to join our technology innovation group focused on the rapid development of cloud based end-to-end mobile enterprise applications and services. This is a new, exciting area for Samsung: cloud based services platforms and infrastructure to support enterprise mobility.
This position is based in Burnaby, B.C.
- Work with Operations and Engineering teams to make changes to improve service availability, performance and scalability in the application, systems or database layers.
- Establish capacity planning framework
- Monitor and trend key metrics to identify potential performance problems.
- Establish baselines for various workloads.
- Determine maximum capacity for production environment.
- Identify performance bottlenecks and implement solutions to eliminate them.
- Code and test software changes to improve performance.
- Determine hardware/software configurations for optimal performance.
- Build tools and infrastructure to support performance work.
- Develop, automate, and execute performance suites and analyze results to evaluate product performance.
- Investigate, troubleshoot and fix application database, and/or systems performance problems
- Work closely with management, product owners, and other developers to understand product requirements and design appropriate performance test plans to verify feature performance and scalability requirements.
- Design, implement, and execute overhead, scalability, stability, and stress tests using industry standard tools and custom developed software
- Use custom and off-the-shelf tools like JProfiler to identify performance bottlenecks in the Java application.
- Participate in system optimization in terms of hardware resource utilization (memory, CPU, I/O, Network).
- Provide accurate scoping, clear strategies, and milestones for performance testing.
- Communicate status, risks to test complete dates, and offer mitigation strategies to ensure on-time delivery of comitted projects to cross-functional teams.
- Review test plans, results analysis, capacity planning, automation implementations and sound design principles.
- 5 years experience developing and implementing high-performance and high-availability applications
- Five (5) years of experience in the job offered, or as a Systems Performance Engineer, Systems Test Engineer, Software Test Engineer, or related occupation
- 3 years experience with application, system and database performance tuning.
- 3 years experience with capacity planning.
- Experience with Java profiling tools (JConsole, VisualVM, YourKit) and application performance monitoring tools (Wily introscope etc), logging and monitoring tools (Log4j, JMX) and synthetic load generation tools (JMeter, Selenium)
- Experience with Java stack tuning and debugging including garbage collection, core dump analysis, contention/concurrency and other bottleneck measurement, analysis and tuning.
- Proficiency with JVM internals as they relate to performance tuning and memory management.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Sciences, Electrical Engineering, related Engineering discipline, or related field (or foreign equivalent)
- In depth knowledge and experience in performance benchmarking of large scale software systems
- analysis of performance impact of new product releases
- troubleshooting in performance and administration related database problems
- knowledge of systems design for performance in terms of resource utilization and stability
- Java Virtual Machine (JVM) tuning and administration
- HTTP load generation/measurement software (JMeter, Loadrunner, Grinder)
Nice to have:
- Performance consulting experience in middleware vendor (Oracle Weblogic, IBM Websphere, Redhat Jboss) is preferred
- Product technical support (trouble shooting & bug fix) experience in vendor (Oracle Weblogic, IBM Websphere, Redhat Jboss) is prefered
Samsung is an equal employment opportunity employer.
We thank you for your interest in working for Samsung. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.