Sr Managing Counsel - Product
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Employees can work remotely
Established in 1996 in Amsterdam, Booking.com has grown from a small Dutch start-up to the third largest e-commerce company in the world. Booking.com is the largest business within Booking Holdings (NASDAQ: BKNG) and accounts for the vast majority of Booking Holdings’ total revenue. Booking Holdings is a leading Fortune 500 e-commerce conglomerate with a market cap of approximately $80 billion.
With a mission to make it easier for everyone to experience the world, Booking.com invests in digital technology that helps take the friction out of travel. Booking.com connects travellers with the world’s largest selection of incredible places to stay, including everything from apartments, vacation homes, and family-run B&Bs to 5-star luxury resorts and even tree houses. The Booking.com website and mobile apps are available in over 40 languages, offer more than +28 million total reported listings, and cover +140K destinations in +200 countries worldwide.
Booking.com is currently looking for a hands-on, experienced Product Counsel to fill the role of Sr Managing Counsel - Product (Packages) in the Legal & Public Affairs (LPA) department. The successful candidate will join an expanding group of Product Counsel partnering with our product owners and business leaders to elevate and extend Booking.com’s product offering enabling everyone to experience the world! This role has direct responsibility for enhanced trip products, including the development of packaging options, as our teams work on creating the complete ‘Trip Experience’.
Are you someone who is challenged and inspired by launching new products, solving legal and regulatory problems - perhaps you spent time working with products in the travel industry that add value and differentiate, that create memorable experiences and inspire people’s wanderlust? This may well be the job you’ve been looking for...
Sr Managing Counsel - Product at Booking.com is a critical role, partnering with our product teams in the construction of scalable global products. This member of the team will tailor their advice and build relationships across all our major business units to deliver enhanced Trip products.
Come and join the team creating the future of travel in a post-Covid world!
As the Sr Managing Counsel - Product (Packages) you are responsible for:
- Coordinating legal support for the Trips Product teams based in Amsterdam, NL and Manchester,UK across different specialisms and areas (including Consumer law, Data Protection, applicable travel regulations, Public Affairs) as a single point of contact for the Product team
- Advising on the negotiation and drafting of critical vendor contracts to enable the trips product verticals, such as inventory suppliers, optimising for commercial outcomes whilst protecting the company from foreseeable circumstances
- Acting as a business enabler, in partnership with our product and other business colleagues of a regulatory strategy that supports the Booking.com Product strategy, across a range of travel-related services, such as country-specific licensing requirements or regulations such as the Package Travel Directive in Europe
- Working with other internal stakeholder groups, including Finance and other brands within the Holdings Group, to define and manage a regulatory strategy in support of travel services.
- As a senior member of the team, fostering collaboration and encouraging best practices in ways of working and knowledge sharing.
- Training the Trips Product team on a variety of legal matters and working with its leadership team to improve risk management and controls
- Analysing precedents/case law and proposed existing laws and regulations that may impact the Trips Product and its growth and facilitate the implementation of any regulatory requirements
- Managing external counsel where needed and constantly look for opportunities to improve ways of working/process/controls
- Working closely with the Public Affairs team on any policy issues related to travel
The ideal Sr Managing Counsel - Trips Product will have:
- 8+ years’ hands-on experience in a similar position with a Master’s Degree (a Specialised Diploma is a plus)
- Deep subject matter expertise in a relevant area of to the products being supported, either as an experience product counsel working across a range of transferable areas, or in the area of travel-related services regulation
- A strong commercial and product instinct that helps to apply that knowledge in practical and actionable ways
- Experience in working as an individual contributor in a ‘hands-on’ legal advisory support role, embedded in the business and working closely with the product and commercial teams
- Experience in a role with global scope - the lawyer in this role should equally have a global worldview - and be capable of sourcing, critiquing and managing input form a range of internal and external stakeholders to form a view even outside of his or her direct experience
- Fluency in English; strong written and verbal communication skills - additional language skills are a plus
Further skills we are looking for:
- Aligning with Booking.com’s Values (Think Customer First, Succeed Together, Own It, Learn Forever, Do the Right Thing)
- Being curious, flexible, and a creative & pragmatic problem solver
- Confident yet collaborative
- Ability to influence stakeholders across all levels within the organisation
- Being proactive, resilient and having the drive to get things done
- Having sound judgement and the ability to see the big picture and simultaneously appreciate the details necessary to operationalise the strategy
- Having the courage to take positions and make tough judgment calls
- Being a team player, self aware and a good listener - a diverse group will always find the best solution!
- Ability to move with agility, prioritise workloads and meet deadlines
- Forward thinking with an interest in emerging issues in legal and policy
Booking.com ensures equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, colour, family or medical care leave, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, pregnancy and childbirth, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws and regulations. We aspire to have a workplace that reflects all of the diverse communities we serve and we welcome and encourage candidates from all backgrounds and experiences to apply for roles on our team. We work to cultivate an inclusive culture in which all of our employees can be their authentic selves.
Why join the Legal & Public Affairs Team now?
Booking.com’s Legal & Public Affairs team is on a transformational journey (think: growth, innovation, changes to how we operate); you will have an opportunity to actively shape the Depar