Senior Data Engineer
- Manchester, Netherlands
- Employees can work remotely
About the company
Not long ago, booking a trip to see the Eiffel Tower, stroll down New York’s iconic Madison Avenue or feel the sand between our toes on Copacabana Beach was complex and time consuming. Now it is simply a matter of a few taps on our smartphone.
In fact, that’s what we do at Booking.com. We make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that world might feel a little farther away right now, we’re busy preparing for when the world is ready to travel once more.
Across our offices worldwide, we continue to innovate. To solve for some of the most complex challenges in travel and technology, and to plan for the exciting developments that lie ahead. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening up new career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission.
We are united in the belief that our very human desire to explore the planet’s beauty and discover more about other people and cultures will endure. The world is waiting for us. Together, we will be ready.
Booking.com core values
- Think customer first
- Succeed together
- Own It
- Learn Forever
- Do the Right Thing
At Booking.com we’re working to seamlessly connect every aspect of travel, and the TBU team is one of the cornerstones of our connected trip vision. We’re dedicated to helping travellers uncover the best transport options available to them around the world. To do this we need to offer the broadest selection of bookable transport options, and effortlessly match the right options to the right person at the right time. Our goal is to offer travellers the widest choice and the best customer experience no matter what transport option they choose.
About the team.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and proactive Senior Data Engineer to join our Data Platform Team to drive the rapid and robust delivery of amazing self-serve data platform capabilities. You will be an advocate for our cloud migration, driving benefit through creation of an integrated, centralised data infrastructure to enable data driven insight and decision making across all elements of Trips.B. Responsible
As a Senior Data Engineer, you’ll join TBU to work alongside curious, fast-paced, and focused people. You are responsible for creating and executing on a vision to have performant, high quality, scalable data pipelines and self serve user tooling. You will own the end-to-end execution of technical elements in the Booking.com tech data stack, products and processes. You’ll be responsible for helping roadmap and deliver replace the current ad-hoc data solutions with strong foundations built on modern technologies that will make it easy to store real-time customer interactions and make it accessible for data consumers later on.
Senior data engineers are expected to coach and mentor more junior engineers and be a thought leader in their team ensuring best practices are being implemented
Important aspects and responsibilities of the job include:
- Iteratively developing next-generation scalable, flexible, high-performance data pipelines and data platforms
- Supporting your team’s products in a DevOps environment
- Providing self-serve tools that help the analytics community discover data, assess quality, build and query data marts
- Keeping the data complete, accessible, and consumable in an environment of rapid product development
- Be responsible for maintaining data security, integrity and governance by effectively following company standards and best practices
- Adhere to the defaults principles for architecture, quality and non-functional requirements
- Design, build, test and deliver quality code in line with guidance and best practices of the department, following standard testing techniques and methods that adhere to the test strategy
- (SNR) Contribute to the evolution of best practices
- (SNR) Experimenting with new tools and technologies to drive forward engineering excellence
- Contributing to the growth of Booking.com through interviewing, on-boarding, or other recruitment efforts
End to end System Ownership
- Is responsible for end to end service ownership by actively monitoring platform health and performance, setting and monitoring relevant metrics and act accordingly when Service Levels are breached
- Is responsible to reduce business continuity risks and bus factor by applying state-of-the-art practices and tools, and writing the appropriate documentation such as runbooks and OpDocs
- Has sufficient knowledge to set a clear direction for a technical capability by evaluating and aligning the target architecture improvements, reframing architectural designs and decisions for varied stakeholder
- Has sufficient knowledge to advise product teams towards a technical solution that meets the functional, nonfunctional & architectural requirements by challenging the rationale for an application design and providing context in the wider architectural landscape
- Is responsible for systematically identifying patterns and underlying issues in complex situations to find solutions by applying logical and analytical thinking.
- Has sufficient knowledge to coach, guide and improve the overall performance of stakeholders and colleagues at all levels, when appropriate, by sharing experience, knowledge and approaches to work
Continuous Quality and Process Improvement
- Is responsible for identifying opportunities for process, system and structural improvements (i.e performance gains) by examining and evaluating current process flows, methods and standards.
- Is responsible for the design and implementation of relevant improvements by defining adapted/new process flows, standards, and practices that enable business performance
- Is responsible to deliver clear, well-structured, and meaningful information to a target audience by using suitable communication mediums and language tailored to the audience
- Is responsible to achieve mutually agreeable solutions by staying adaptable, communicating ideas in clear coherent language and practising active listening
- Is responsible to ask relevant (follow-up) questions to properly engage with the speaker and really understand what they are saying, by applying listening and reflection techniques
We are looking for a driven Senior Data Engineer who enjoy solving problems, who initiate solutions and discussions and who believe that any challenge can be scaled with the right mindset and tools:
- Proven experience as a senior software developer