Senior Design Manager - Trips
- Manchester, China
- Employees can work remotely
At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. And innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than datasets, lines of code or A/B tests. We’re the thrill of the first night in a new place. The excitement of the next morning. The friends you make. The journeys you take. The sights you see. And the food you sample. Through our products, partners and people, we make it easier for everyone to experience the world.About the Role
Booking.com began by taking hotel bookings online over 20 years ago and we’ve been shaping the travel industry ever since. Today, the Trips Business Unit is building a platform that connects all parts of the trip – from accommodation to flights, transport, tickets, tours and more - leading the evolution of Booking.com from a single-product company to a multi-product offering company with an unprecedented, personalized travel experience to make it easier for everyone to experience the world.
You’ll be the Senior Design Manager - Trips, managing designers across multidisciplinary product teams and groups in our Cars and Rides product organizations. You will work to elevate the whole of the Trips design organization as a function, guiding design processes to identify customer needs and shape product strategy, continuously raise the bar for design quality, and build high performing teams of skilled designers who craft compelling experiences that deliver real value to our users. Understanding the career development needs of your teams, the business needs of the company, and how to effectively align the two in a healthy and productive way.B.responsible
This is a unique opportunity for a Senior Design Manager who will partner closely with the design, product, research, technology and UX writing leaders driving our Cars and Rides, as well as the wider Product Experience and Trips vertical teams. This role manages, coaches and develops a craft-focused team, and you will drive all team activities to define and design new experiences, ensuring that deliverables are on time, with acceptable quality, and aligned to product strategies. The role will confer with leaders, product owners, technology teams, and key stakeholders to research and frame problems, develop solution options, visualize experiences, and create product-ready assets that help Booking reach its user experience ambitions.
Important aspects of the job include:People Leadership
- Lead by example through taking ownership, being proactive, and collaborating.
- Nurture, grow, and develop design talent in the team; is an approachable coach and mentor.
- Leads design managers and senior design staff.
- Foster a great culture that innovates, works together as a team, partners with other Booking.com com teams and roles and celebrates unified success.
- Respects the Booking.com values and uses them as a guide to the way we work.
- Through leadership, shapes the ways of working for teams to elevate the level of craft and quality. Connects the dots between teams and facilitates collaborative processes to provide continuous design direction and innovation.
- Shares expert knowledge of user flows, product features, and underlying technologies across teams and tracks.
- Contributes to advancements in Booking.com's design and development principles, standards, components, and practices.
- Drives consistent adherence to relevant design standards and principles.
- Support for the wider Trips and Design Foundation strategic objectives to enhance the user experience and drive consistent product experiences on all platforms.
- Demonstrates awareness of current and upcoming trends in market, technology and design; Shares this knowledge widely and encourages others to learn.
- Aligns with other teams’ missions and objectives through collaboration across teams, disciplines and levels.
- Thought partner for Product teams to define, shape, and deliver app and web roadmaps.
- Works with Design Managers, Senior Design Managers, Lead Designers and Principal Designers to create, align, and scale design strategy for Trips experiences across platforms.
- Acts as a consistent advocate for end user needs and perspectives in product area discussions, reviews, and critiques.
- Demonstrates fluent understanding of track area's business models and strategies; Actively contributes to strategy through collaboration with other track leadership and managers.
- Champions adherence and consistency to established design and UX copy standards and guidelines across their area of business at all levels and disciplines.
- Actively engages with other managers and departments in order to improve management processes, contribute to overall performance evaluation and improvement.
- 5 to 8 years in design management role
- 8 to 12 years individual contributor design experience, preferably in travel, marketplaces & ecommerce, SaaS, media, retail, etc, in customer-orientated user experience design organizations
- Experience shipping successful products on multiple platforms using scalable frameworks such as design systems and machine learning frameworks.
- Demonstrated experience managing other UX related disciplines or managing multidisciplinary individuals and teams
- Extensive knowledge of design processes
- Documented creative ability to develop ideas, flows, designs and propositions to engage customers
- Strong theoretical and practical user-centred design skills
- Experience and knowledge of A/B and multivariate testing processes
- Knowledge of Lean UX, Lean startup, Design Thinking, and dual track agile
- Strong people management skills and ability to deal with complex people issues
- Excellent stakeholder management experience
- A proven communicator who can influence and cooperate with people at all levels
- Strong work ethic; self-directed and resourceful
- Solution oriented and result driven, analytical skills and data-informed mindset
- Bachelor’s degree in Design, HCI, Computer Science, Library Science, or a related field or 5 years of progressively responsible experience in the specialty as equivalent
Full relocation support for you and your family (if the case) to move to Amsterdam - one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe. We have