- 52 W 39th St
Database Engineer - 109621
Technology and Engineering - USA Offsite, Offsite
Explore and discover Nielsen! Nielsen is the global standard for entertainment data and technology focusing on audience measurement, audience insights, and audience experience.
Gracenote, a Nielsen Company is the leading provider of entertainment metadata and media recognition technology that powers the world's top broadcast, on-demand, and streaming platforms for television, movies, music, and sports.
Gracenote's Video Engineering team is seeking an agile, team-oriented, Database Engineer to join a team focused on developing software and engineering databases for video metadata collection and curation. Our customers’ appetite for video data is unbounded and you will help meet their needs by designing/building/supporting a variety of solutions that enable us to collect, catalog, and process video metadata, more efficiently, and with higher quality.
Our teams are growth-minded, globally focused, and are passionate about building high-quality robust software. We are looking for people who are as passionate as we are about technology, writing code, building cool, customer-inspired solutions, and who can demonstrate their passion with personal projects or contributions to the open source community (by writing code, participating in discussions, or promoting their favorite tools and languages).
FOR THIS ROLE WE WILL BE LOOKING FOR PEOPLE THAT HAVE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related technical field.
- 3+ years of professional database development, with languages such as ANSI SQL, TSQL, PL/pgSQL, PLSQL, plus database design, normalization, server tuning, interpreting query plans and tuning DML.
- 3+ years of professional DBA experience with datastores of 1TB or larger, including HA and DR planning and support.
- 3+ years experience with scripting languages such as Python, Perl, PHP, and Unix Shell.
- 2+ years experience working with cloud databases and automation, and deploying cloud-based software.
- Professional experience administering PostgreSQL, version 10 or above.
- Strong computer science fundamentals, such as data structures, algorithms, design patterns, and OOP.
- Experience configuring/supporting native database replication (physical and/or logical).
- Experience working with Infrastructure as Code, such as Terraform or CloudFormation.
- Ability to write clean, maintainable code, and ability to refactor older code.
- Comfortable with version control systems such as git and gitlab.
- Team experience with Scrum.
- Experience developing service oriented architectures and an understanding of design for scalability, performance, and reliability.
- A thirst for learning new tech and keeping up with industry shifts/advances.
- Excellent communication and knowledge sharing skills.
- Comfortable working with technical and non-technical teams.
- Strong debugging skills.
- Comfortable providing and receiving code review feedback
- A positive attitude, adaptability, enthusiasm, and a growth mindset.
- Knowledge of the TV and Movie metadata industry.
- DevOps experience deploying and tuning the applications you’ve built.
- Monitoring tools such as Datadog, Prometheus, Grafana, Cloudwatch.
- Management of other data storage platforms such as Sybase, Oracle, MS SQL Server, MySQL, Aurora Postgres, RDS Postgres, plus NoSQL solutions like Cassandra, DynamoDB, and MongoDB
- Experience managing ElasticSearch clusters.
- ETL experience (3rd party and proprietary).
- Configuration management tools such as Ansible, Chef, or Docker.
- Experience mentoring junior developers.
By connecting clients to audiences, we fuel the media industry with the most accurate understanding of what people listen to and watch. To discover what audiences love, we measure across all channels and platforms—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are truly connected to their audiences, they can see the most important opportunities and accelerate growth.
Do you want to move the industry forward with Nielsen? Our people are the driving force. Your thoughts, ideas and expertise can propel us forward. Whether you have fresh thinking around maximizing a new technology or you see a gap in the market, we are here to listen and take action. Our team is made strong by a diversity of thoughts, experiences, skills, and backgrounds. You’ll enjoy working with smart, fun, curious colleagues, who are passionate about their work. Come be part of a team that motivates you to do your best work!
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: Offsite,Offsite
Secondary Locations: FL - Tampa - Oldsmar, NY - New York City, CA - Emeryville,