UNIX / Linux / Storage Administrator
- Rochester, NY
IPsoft is a global autonomic services provider, delivering Managed Services, Platform-as-a-Service, Automation-as-a-Service and Autonomic Cloud Orchestration. The company’s mission is to power the world with expert systems. IPsoft leverages advanced autonomics that remediate, on average, more than 56 percent of IT Operations tasks including: event management, incident management, change management, request fulfillment and standard operating procedures. We globally support a wide range of enterprise customers, service providers and telecommunications companies. IPsoft’s autonomic technologies enable clients to realize lowered costs, reduced human errors and enhanced service levels. Headquartered in New York City, IPsoft has operations in 10 countries across North America, Europe and Asia. IPsoft aims to be a true partner helping businesses achieve better outcomes.
The UNIX System Administrator must possess a high level knowledge of the UNIX/Linux OS. Must be highly proficiency at the UNIX command line involving a variety of utilities, interpreters and compilers and have Shell Programming skills. In addition, high proficiency in Operating Systems: (AIX, HPUX, Solaris, Linux, system tuning, backups, high Availability: (VCS, Sun Cluster Server, Oracle/RAC) and SAN administration. Candidate must be familiar with NetApp and EMC storage. Must be comfortable interfacing with customers on a daily basis in order to troubleshoot or strategize on systems, and be able to develop and implement future changes.
- Performs installation, customization and maintenance of the operating system and system software products in support of business processing requirements
- Monitors and tunes the system to achieve optimum performance levels in standalone and multi-tiered environments
- Conducts system analysis, configuration management and develops improvements for system software performance, availability and reliability
- Perform Incident resolution, Problem Determination and Root Cause Analysis in accordance with Service Level Agreements
- Designs, develops, recommends and implements new or revised system software, utilities and automated processes as necessary
- Provides technical expertise for system Transitions, Migrations and Consolidations
- Conducts project management activities for new system requirements on various projects for deployment of business functions on new servers.
- Transfers knowledge and provides leadership support to Analysts and Specialists in the implementation of new hardware, operating systems and other required software on the systems.
- Comprehensive troubleshooting skills
- Configures, implements, and manages the on-going operations of the enterprise Storage Area Network (SAN); designs and configures storage infrastructure for physical and virtual servers, ensuring high-availability to all applications; integrates backup/restore operations with current and future SANs, and proactively manages the efficiency, reliability, and business continuity of SMUD computer technology infrastructure.
- Providing support for storage projects and solutions such as backup and restore, disaster recovery, storage consolidation, data protection and storage performance
- Create and maintain storage infrastructure best practice and how to documentation
- Support of customer’s IT Service Management framework relative to storage infrastructure
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Significant project management experience and leadership skills
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or related field
- Strong customer service skills
- 8+ years of Linux/Unix server administration experience
- 8+ years of storage administration experience
- Strong working knowledge of Redhat, Oracle Linux and Solaris
- Understanding of storage technologies including NFS, RAID, Fiber Channel, Storage Area Networks
- Proven track record designing, building, and maintaining highly available fault-tolerant systems
- Familiarity with Load Balancers and clustering technologies
- Virtualization and/or Cloud administration experience with VMware ESX
- Experience with and knowledge of server software such as Apache, Bind, Postfix, and SSH
- Experience with IT security tools such as Snort, Splunk, Qualys, nmap, Tripwire, and Shavlik
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to learn quickly and work in a fast paced environment
- Scripting experience (Perl, VBS, csh, etc.)
- Working knowledge of the following protocols; CIFS, NFS, FC and iSCSI
- Hands on experience with NetApp Operations Manager and EMC
- NetApp and EMC SAN configuration and administration experience
- NetApp and EMC replication technologies
- Knowledge of EMC software, ex: Powerpath, SPA, SMC, Unisphere, Fabric Manager, Vplex local and metro, Timefinder, Recoverpoint, Avamar, and Data Domain
- Experience with EMC storage/backup platforms and components, ex: VMAX, VPLEX, Recoverpoint, Cisco SAN, Centera, VNX, Celerra, Isilon, Atmos, Avamar, and Data Domain
- FCP / SAN switches and directors