Aero UT Senior Systems Engineer
- 9310 Kirby Drive, Houston, TX
Location: Flexible (Houston, TX; Seattle, WA; Washington, DC)
Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 13 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat plc is a FTSE listed company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Chief Technology Office
Inmarsat’s Chief Technology Office (CTO) business unit sits at the core of our business and focuses on innovative technology development and engineering. The CTO maintains a centre of excellence for technology and broader infrastructure-related innovation, translating market needs into core expansion programmes to enable market development. We ensure that Inmarsat’s products and services are constantly pushing the boundaries of satellite communications. The CTO team is responsible for delivering Inmarsat development programmes, including satellites and launchers, ground infrastructure (ground stations, networks, user terminals and access technology), regulatory, market access and product and service development.
Primary role purpose:
The position of Aero UT Senior Systems Engineer is part of the User Terminal Enablers group within Inmarsat’s CTO division. This team is responsible for the management of manufacturing partner activities involving all Aero User Terminal (UT) design, development and verification testing including flight trials ultimately leading to the grant of Inmarsat Type Approval allowing the user terminals to operate in Inmarsat’s networks, both operational and under development. The role will involve leading the activities to supervise and support the manufacturing partners throughout the design, development, verification, system integration and operational support related activities. The role will also include Project Management activities including providing cost/schedule/technical inputs to business case, maintaining adherence to schedule commitments by the partner, leading all design review and test witnessing activities. The Senior Systems Engineer will be involved in aero UT development in all Inmarsat network, including GX, BGAN and EAN.
The role will require co-ordination with a wide range of other project teams both within and external to Inmarsat. The successful candidate will be required to represent Inmarsat as the technical expert in meetings with vendors and must be capable of dealing confidently with experts in similar and different disciplines. The role will require regular travel to manufacturer premises and installation locations.
- Define Aero UT technical requirements
- Program manager on UT or UT component development projects managed by CTO
- Lead the close collaboration with equipment manufacturers and other individuals and groups within Inmarsat in the development of new terminals and services, and support of existing services
- Provide aero UT technical knowledge assistance to internal and external parties
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical or Electronic Engineering (or equivalent) from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- Knowledge of satellite communications systems
- Knowledge of RF modelling and simulation (Link Budget)
- Knowledge of terminal hardware, including modem, BUC and LNB
- Knowledge of hardware development including RF design
- Knowledge of software development and engineering techniques
- Knowledge of RF measurements and testing methods
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- Aero certification process
- Avionics products
- Inmarsat GX and BGAN systems
- Data communications protocols (TCP/IP, IPSec, PPP)
- Terrestrial Mobile communication (GSM, GPRS, UMTS, LTE)
- Network protocol analyser tools (e.g. wireshark)
- Knowledge of DSP implementation and architecture
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do