Mechanical Engineer Entry
- Hood River, OR 97031, USA
Insitu is a leading high-tech autonomous systems company driven by a culture of agility and systematic improvement. Since 1994 Insitu has led in the design, development and production of small autonomous aircraft for Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS). We currently produce and sell an ever growing fleet of Unmanned Aircraft Systems that are low-cost, long-endurance, and have low personnel requirements. These UASs provide a no-runway launch, unprecedented stabilized day and night video for ISR, robotic flight control, and a no-nets capture.
As we continue our rapid growth in the UAS/UAV market we are looking for experienced talent to help us achieve our goal of maintaining the agile and innovative problem-solving capabilities in all the products we offer.
Designs packaging components and complete solutions within defined requirements. Conducts limited engineering analysis and identifies risks on contents as well as the proposed packaging solution. Performs
initial modeling/CAD analysis and prototype development using a solid modeling tool (ex. SolidWorks).
Develops 2D drawings and supporting design documentation. Identifies and documents test plans/procedures
and implements testing requirements. Documents engineering design development outcome and analysis.
Prepares engineering change requests and gathers release documentation. Performs established test procedures and documents outcomes. Conducts limited troubleshooting and may perform root cause
analysis and make improvement recommendations. Investigates failures, gathers operational data and performs limited diagnoses. Assists with the evaluation of potential changes and/or design modifications.
- Limited use and/or application of technical principles, theories, and concepts.
- Develops solutions to routine technical problems of limited scope.
- Work is closely supervised. Follows specific, detailed instructions.
- Contributes to completion of routine technical tasks. Failure to achieve results can normally be overcome without serious effect on schedules and programs.
- Contacts are primarily with immediate supervisor, project leaders, and other professionals in the section or group.
KEY SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to analyze problems (troubleshooting, fault isolation, repair, modification, or redesign) of assigned end items to support the design, development and modification of company products using knowledge of engineering disciplines (ME, EE, etc.).
- Knowledge of computer aided tools and systems [e.g., computer aided design (CAD), computer aided three dimensional interactive data or Solid Works]. Able to manipulate data sets, compare measurement data, create stereo lithography files.
- Knowledge of design and drafting methods (e.g., orthographic projection, descriptive geometry, layout, geometric dimensioning & tolerance, coordinate systems, etc.) as applied to manual drafting and/or computer-aided design tools in the creation of drawings and datasets.
- Knowledge of engineering tests techniques, including handling qualities, performance, systems testing, structural loads, propulsion, etc.
- Ability to establish test requirements from supporting documentation, test plans, internal and external customers. Knowledge of domestic and international regulations (e.g. FAA or DOD regulations) on the certification of test articles/vehicles to assure compliance of design.
- Knowledge of manufacturing methods and fabrication processes (e.g., forming, stamping, machining, heat treatment, machines/machine tools, cutting tools and fluids, N/C programming or inspection). Ability to select the best method of producing parts, tools or assemblies.
- Knowledge of product structure, materials strengths and properties, design criteria, loading conditions, and processes. Knowledge of polymers and composite materials (e.g., metals, carbon, fiberglass or adhesives).
- Knowledge of mechanical engineering theories (e.g., compressible/incompressible fluid flow, Bernoulli's Theorem, thermodynamics, control theory, Mohr's theory of stress) and methods/formula selection (e.g., vibration analysis, load calculations, heat transfer, flow, root cause analysis, pressure drop).
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
This job is limited to employees who, in the performance of their assigned work, regularly apply engineering disciplines to the research, design, development, test, and evaluation of company products, facilities, or manufacturing process and have a minimum of a Bachelor's degree of Science from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry.
Insitu is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans.