- Chicago, IL
Instituto del Progreso Latino (Instituto) was incorporated in 1977 to meet the needs of Latino immigrants to learn English, find employment, accustom their children to the U.S. educational systems, and adjust to life in Chicago in a myriad of ways. Since its inception, Instituto has been a story of hope, perseverance, and community triumph.
Today, Instituto is a recognized leading city and state educational center serving more than 14,000 participants annually to advance their basic academic skills, obtain a high school diploma, pass the GED exam, become U.S. citizens, increase their job skills, and provide assistance with employment opportunities. Our goal is to instill that sense of hope, motivate perseverance, and provide the tools for success.
Volunteer Position : AmeriCorp
The AmeriCorps Member reports to Volunteer Services Coordinator and is responsible for conducting literacy tutoring at Instituto del Progreso Latino. The primary responsibility of this position is to provide the direct service of literacy tutoring to participants in select programs and remain in compliance with the AmeriCorps contract.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain schedule and timesheets as set by site supervisor
- Turn in timesheets, monthly reports and other documents as requested by supervisor
- Conduct literacy tutoring with program participants as a direct service
- Attend monthly meetings and trainings, as well as participate in regular fundraising efforts and group service activities
- Position requires a flexible schedule and including evenings and weekends as needed.
- High school diploma or equivalent (i.e. GED)
- Previous volunteer experience
- Must be bilingual (English/Spanish)
- Ability to maintain a high sense of confidentiality
- Team player and willing to take on multiple tasks at once and independent worker, requires minimal supervision
- Exceptional organization and time management skills
- Above average “customer” service attitude
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, bilingual English/Spanish preferred
- Strong telephone skills and ability to maintain composure under pressure
- Dependable and punctual
- Strong project management skills, attention to detail and effective management of multiple projects at one time
- Ability to adhere to deadlines, react to unpredictable events quickly and efficiently, be resourceful, manage conflict and challenges
- Basic skills with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and the Internet
- Must be willing to interact with different groups of people, and Instituto’s general participant population