English Teacher, IJLA
- Chicago, IL
Hiring for '13-'14 School Year
The Instituto Justice & Leadership Academies (IJLA), a Social Justice, Multi-site, Charter High School will expand opportunities available to our youth. The main campus, Rudy Lozano Leadership Academy (RLLA) is located in Pilsen/Little Village, one of Chicago's predominantly Mexican communities. IJLA will open 2 more campuses in the next few years. This model serves students that have not found success in a traditional 4 year program. It is a three-year program serving youth 17-21. Many of our students come from Chicago Public Schools seeking understanding, excitement and renewed opportunities to learn and earn their high school diploma.
In addition to our current campus, the Rudy Lozano Leadership Academy, IJLA will open a second campus next year and has opportunities for the following teachers to join our staff. A commitment to social justice will be required. An essay describing your philosophy of social justice education is the next step in the interview process if invited to proceed after the review of a resume.
- Develop interdisciplinary social justice curriculum in an Interdisciplinary team
- Assess based on Competencies not percentages or letter grades
- Maintain student portfolios
- Uphold our Restorative Discipline through Dignity framework
- Lead an exciting and motivating classroom experience for youth via diverse and integrative instructional methods.
- Maintain attendance records for all classes taught.
- Utilize positive classroom management skills to promote respect, discipline and collaboration in both classroom and school environments.
- Meet with parents regularly to discuss academic and social progress of students.
- Inspire students to reach their highest potential.
- Make classroom learning relevant to student lives.
- Document and utilize lesson plans, student assessments and evaluations to inform teaching and learning.
- Follow curriculum guidelines established by the agency.
- Integrate and meet Illinois State Learning Goals and Chicago Public School Standards and Frameworks into all lessons.
- Actively participate in meetings, conferences and communications requested by school administration
- Attend and participate in school programs such as dances, graduations, dinners and parent meetings.
- Monitor student body adherence of school rules such as discipline and uniform codes
- Serve as monitor for specified areas of the school building as requested
- Have a passion working with young people
- Strong relationship building skills with youth.
- Bilingual, English and Spanish
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or related field from an accredited university.
- At least two years of relevant experience
- Computer literacy skills
- Ability to communicate well, orally and in writing
- Type 09
Submit cover letter with resume and salary expectations, a completed application (located at: http://www.idpl.org/idpl_careers.html), and any other information listed above as “additional attachments” when you apply.
Instituto del Progreso Latino is an equal opportunity employer