Competency Tutor Coordinator
- Chicago, IL
Hiring for '13-'14 School Year
The Instituto Justice & Leadership Academies (IJLA), a Social Justice, Multi-site, Charter High School will expand opportunities available to our youth. The main campus, Rudy Lozano Leadership Academy (RLLA) is located in Pilsen/Little Village, one of Chicago's predominantly Mexican communities. IJLA will open 2 more campuses in the next few years. This model serves students that have not found success in a traditional 4 year program. It is a three-year program serving youth 17-21. Many of our students come from Chicago Public Schools seeking understanding, excitement and renewed opportunities to learn and earn their high school diploma.
In addition to our current campus, the Rudy Lozano Leadership Academy, IJLA will open a second campus next year and has opportunities for the following teachers to join our staff. A commitment to social justice will be required. An essay describing your philosophy of education is the next step in the interview process if invited to proceed after the review of a resume.
The Competency Tutoring Program strives to support the academic success of IJLA students by providing tutoring after school and on half-day Wednesdays. The tutor coordinator will coordinate and manage the existing tutoring program and help develop a IJLA writing tutoring program. The tutor coordinator will work closely with faculty, tutors, and students receiving tutoring. Arrange for tutors to be in the classrooms assisting teachers and afterschool tutoring. The tutor coordinator will report to the Principal and work collaboratively with the Registrar’s Office, Student Services, and Academic Advisor. All tutoring will be based on competency development and not on homework help.
- Available to work 20 hours/week for at least 1 full calendar year
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Detail-oriented with strong interpersonal, organizational, and management skills
- Self-driven; able to set own deadlines and prioritize multiple tasks
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Maintain confidential materials and student information
- Prior work experience with a writing program, preferred but not required
- Flexible; positive attitude
Please attach a completed application found on our website, cover letter with resume with a brief description of your educational philosophy and approach, salary history and salary expectations as “additional attachments” when completing the screening, at the above link.