Sustainability Developer – Category Area Food
- King of Prussia, PA, USA
IKEA Purchasing Services (US) Inc.’s main office is in King of Prussia, PA and is a subsidiary of the Inter IKEA Group.
The IKEA brand is one of the most successful home furnishing brands in the world. We are a values-driven company with a passion for life at home. Our vision is to create a better everyday life for the many people. IKEA stores offer almost 10,000 affordable home furnishing products and solutions. Today there are over 392 IKEA stores in 48 countries around the world.
The Inter IKEA Group is a part of Inter IKEA Systems B.V., owner of the IKEA Concept and worldwide IKEA franchisor.
We are building a better IKEA where we lead the business and create growth in a simplified and better way, based on our culture, values and with customers and people in focus. Creating a better IKEA Purchasing has the aim to ensure that our ways of working enable IKEA to grow and develop.
IKEA food is a fast growing business area with high focus and ongoing rapid and exciting transformation. As part of this journey, we are establishing a Category Area Food, with the responsibility of all food purchasing – we are currently recruiting the team who should make our purchasing world class!
As Sustainability Developer for Category Area Food you will, together with the Category Area Sustainability Manager, lead drive and contribute in building the Sustainability agenda for the Category Area. You will support the business development teams to set priorities, and develop and implement common action plans with suppliers to meet Sustainability goals within specific areas of expertise in line with the Category Area Plans.
You will also be a member of the Global Matrix group for your Category Area and contribute to the sustainability agenda development by leading and/or contributing to global development projects.
Your main responsibilities will include:
- Implementation of our sustainable agriculture programmes including a focus on animal welfare – our “better programs”.
- Motivate suppliers and business development teams to continuously identify new sustainability related business opportunities as well as in sustainability assessment of new and existing suppliers
- Take part in initial IWAY assessment, and facilitate the successful compliance to IWAY requirements.
- Drive supplier sustainability index, identifying and implementing ways of having a more sustainable production footprint
- Lead and/or support sustainability related supplier development projects in alignment with Category plans and priorities
- Taking the responsibility to collect, verify, aggregate and report sustainability data and provide relevant analysis to support business decisions within the Category Area business teams.
- Supporting business development teams in the implementation of global sustainability working methods, tools and IT-systems.
- Facilitate sustainability related trainings for co-workers and suppliers.
- This position will require 40-50% travel.
To be successful in the role we see that you need the following knowledge and experience:
- Background which is relevant for the implementation of our Better Program, such as livestock or animal welfare.
- Preferred to have previous business experience, preferably within purchasing which has given you a good understanding of the IKEA ways of working with suppliers.
- Strong in communicating and partnering by building trust and inspire co-workers and the business teams within your scope of responsibility, as well as with the different suppliers
- Knowledge of IWAY standard and IWAY related working methods, is preferred.
- Knowledge of IKEA strategic landscape, especially Purchasing and Sustainability Strategies
- Good knowledge of local and national legislations in IWAY related areas, and IKEA Food compliance agenda.
- A structured approach in analysis and in evaluating different aspects of an issue to be able to support business decisions.
- Strong project management skills with a good track record of leading projects.
- A relevant university degree. Sustainability direction is expected, and focus on animal welfare or animal agriculture is ideal.
As a Sustainability Developer you are goal oriented and business-minded with a genuine curiosity to investigate new technologies and solutions that can drive the sustainability agenda. You have the ability to implement things in a simple and straightforward way. Since you lead development projects across the Category you are able to lead and drive areas of responsibility, on your own as well as through others. You enjoy being the spider in the web between different stakeholders within the organization, leading business and people together.
Travelling, to some extent, is part of the job. The person reports to the Sustainability Manager in Category Area Food.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.