Senior Packaging Engineer
- Tampa, FL
We focus on locating and screening the best career opportunities for our job seekers and the most talented, qualified candidates for our employers. At JWN we connect expertise with opportunity to ensure that both the company and the candidate are completely satisfied.
The Senior Engineer - Primary Packaging is responsible for design, development, testing, manufacturing implementation and validation of sterile and non-sterile packaging systems for ophthalmic medical products. This person will drive package component specification and engineering development from concept ideation, prototyping, design evaluation, testing, manufacturing process development, technology transfer, and validation and production qualification to product launch. The scope includes serving as the technical leader/project manager coordinating cross functional technical teams of internal staff and external suppliers/partners.
• Lead the engineering activities supporting the design and development of new innovative packaging systems for existing products and R&D pipeline products.
• Serve as the Package Development technical team member on cross functional global teams, responsible for defining the packaging engineering project plan, developing design requirements, specification definition, component testing and optimization, manufacturing process development and insuring regulatory and quality compliance within industry standards (FDA, ISO, etc.).
• Conduct design reviews, feasibility assessments, material and process recommendations and costing.
• Perform Package integrity testing; transport testing, design verification and validation protocol development and reports.
• Identify new materials, technologies and equipment that will add convenience for our customers, reduce manufacturing and material costs, improve efficiencies and build on our sustainability initiatives.
• Incorporate DFSS tools into design process to insure robust package component design.
• Recommend vendors and participate in the supplier evaluation, selection and qualification process.
• Design and execute experiments (DOE’s) to optimize manufacturing process performance.
• Technology transfer of new products and processes to the manufacturing floor.
• Communicate effectively within team, to R&D and Engineering management on packaging development progress.
Experience & Education:
Bachelor's degree required, Master's degree preferred (degrees in, but not limited to: Packaging Engineering or related Engineering degree with relevant packaging experience).
Experience: Minimum of 5 years experience in packaging development with several successful primary packaging development projects completed (ophthalmic product packaging experience a plus). Experience in the medical device or pharmaceutical industry preferred.
• Knowledge and understanding of the regulations and standards (FDA, ISO, ANSI, ASTM, ISTA, EU) governing sterile packaging qualification, package integrity and transport ship testing.
• Broad knowledge of primary and secondary packaging materials, package forming and sealing, packaging equipment and automation, sealing, labeling and coding processes.
• Excellent engineering problem solving skills and ability to manage multiple projects effectively.
• Proven track record of delivering to project objectives.
• Experience in a structured product development process, design and change control process.
• Familiar with package design software preferred (SCORE, ArtiosCAD, AutoCAD).
• Experience with an electronic document control system preferred (such as Documentum).
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with ability to influence across levels of organization.
• Software skills in: WORD, Excel, PowerPoint.
• Experience in DFSS, DOE design, execution and analysis.
• Self-directed, well-organized with ability to manage multiple projects.
• Willing to travel domestically and internationally
Please send resume and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org.