Irrigation Engineer-(Seconded to the Bekaa Water Establishment – BWE)_(National Contract)
- Laboueh, Lebanon
WeWorld-GVC has been working in Lebanon since 2006 and is now supporting vulnerable populations through WASH, shelter, basic assistance and protection interventions aiming at increasing the resilience of the concerned communities, in North Bekaa (Baalbek-Hermel Governorate) and in Akkar.
WeWorld-GVC is implementing projects supporting public water, waste-water, and irrigation services in partnership with other organizations and funded by different donors (AFD, EU-MADAD, EU-ENI). WeWorld-GVC is partnering with Fondazione Giovanni Paolo II and The Nawaya Network in a consortium implementing “Promoting the local economy in North East Bekaa” funded by the EU, with a focus on agriculture. Within the project, WW-GVC will implement an irrigation component in partnership with the Bekaa Water Establishment which targets (i) rehabilitation and expansion of irrigation storage and distribution schemes, (ii) adoption of efficient, cost-effective, and fit-for-purpose on-farm irrigation, (iii) and improved governance and management of water for agriculture in the area towards sustainable, equitable, and efficient water use.
Within this framework, WeWorld-GVC seeks to recruit an Irrigation Engineer (IE) to support implementation of infrastructure improvement in the field, as well as to provide technical supervision and capacity building to operators, farmers, and BWE technicians. The IE will work closely with other engineers, technicians, and managers at BWE and local authorities (municipalities) and committees/water user associations where relevant. The principal responsibility of the IE is to position BWE as a knowledge holder, technical advisor, and focal point for cooperation around water for agriculture in the target area.
Knowledge Production and Management (50%)
- Support surveying and assessment of existing water schemes directly through ground-truthing available data from the Irrigation Master Plan of the BWE, ensuring the GIS database for north-east Bekaa is accurate and updated in accordance with established Standard Operating Procedures;
- Support hydrological, hydraulic, and socio-technical studies conducted by WW-GVC and/or its consultants and partners in collaboration with the BWE;
- Support the assessment of farmers’ on-farm irrigation systems and evaluation of water-related grant requests made to the project, and make recommendations on appropriateness and priorities;
- Consolidate all data, information, and knowledge produced on the Asi/Orontes Basin within and beyond the project in appropriate information systems;
- Produce weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly reports extensively documenting and analysing progress, plans, achievements, and challenges, and make recommendations and providing insights.
Facilitation and Coordination (15%)
- Facilitate water-related interventions by the BWE and its partners within north Bekaa and maintain active coordination with and awareness of all active parties;
- Support conflict resolution between farmers, operators, local authorities, water user associations, BWE, and WW-GVC and partners where they arise, committing to Do No Harm principles;
- Lead the establishment of the North-East Bekaa Irrigation Council (NEBIC), gathering all stakeholders relevant to irrigation management and governance in the area in a voluntary coordination forum;
- Support regularization and establishment of water user associations in line with local needs and contexts, as well as the recently adopted Water Code.
Technical Advisory (15%)
- Support the design and implementation of irrigation scheme rehabilitation and upgrade works provided by WW-GVC and partners and ensure alignment with established laws, strategies, and master plans;
- Ensure that interventions adopt best practices and promote sustainability, equity, and efficiency.
Capacity Building (15%)
- Support the assessment of BWE’s local office operation and maintenance teams, equipment, and practices;
- Actively participate in training on surveying, operation, maintenance, rehabilitation, design, modelling, and other relevant skills and support BWE’s technicians and skilled workers through continued coaching;
- Support farmers on adoption of improved irrigation practices and rationalized water use.
Procurement Processes (5%)
- Support WW-GVC in the definition of priority equipment necessary for the establishment of an irrigation department at BWE;
- Ensure supplies meet both BWE and WW-GVC’s standards and specifications.
- A university degree or equivalent in the field of Water/Irrigation Engineering or similar.
- Minimum of 3 years of engineering experience in irrigation-related consulting, contracting, operations, institutions, academia, research, etc;
- Previous experience in Lebanon;
Skills and Abilities
- Good written and spoken communication skills;
- Commitment to knowledge transfer and capacity building of colleagues and partners;
- Ability to maintain professional relationships with partner organizations, public institutions, and service providers;
- Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and perform under pressure;
- High tolerance for lengthy processes, and ability to patiently and persistently follow-up;
- Ability to think strategically and conceptually and to translate these into concrete results;
- Capacity to work autonomously and in problem prevention/resolution;
- Integrity in line with WeWorld-GVC’s values and ethical standards;
- Cultural, gender, religion, and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Availability to commit for a long-term deployment;
- Proven capacity to work effectively with farmers.
- Professional written and spoken English;
- Native spoken Arabic.
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint;
- Professional skills in CAD;
- Professional skills in irrigation software;
- Professional skills in GIS.
Desirable skills and competencies
- More than 5 years of engineering experience;
- Previous Experience in North Bekaa;
- Previous experience working with public utilities;
- Previous experience working with irrigation operators;
- Professional skills in Water Resource and/or Hydraulic Modelling software
- The application should be in English including: CV and Motivation Letter, please to save them in a folder under your full name.
- Applications in Arabic will not be considered.
- Deadline for submitting the application:18th of February 2021 (Applications received after this deadline will not be considered).
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- GVC encourage people with special needs to apply.