Site Engineer-(Irrigation Infrastructure)_(National Contract)
- Ain, Lebanon
WeWorld-GVC has been working in Lebanon since 2006 supporting vulnerable populations through WASH, shelter, basic assistance, and protection interventions aiming at increasing the resilience of the concerned communities, in North Bekaa (Baalbek-Hermel Governorate) and in Akkar. WeWorld-GVC is implementing projects supporting public water, waste-water, and irrigation services in partnership with other organizations and funded by different donors (AFD, EU-MADAD, EU-ENI).
WeWorld-GVC is partnering with Fondazione Giovanni Paolo II and The Nawaya Network in a consortium implementing “Promoting the local economy in North East Bekaa” /LED project funded by the EU. The project aims to generate income and job opportunities in agriculture and food processing notably for women and youth, through environmentally sustainable agriculture and efficient food processing, leading to improved quality, diversification and resilience of the local economy and regional competitiveness in domestic and international markets. Moreover, the LED project will strengthen local governance to plan and promote regional economic development through participatory multi-stakeholder dialogue, improved services and linkages, while promoting social cohesion
Within the LED project, WW-GVC will implement an irrigation component which targets (i) construction and rehabilitation of existing irrigation canals and expansion of irrigation storage and distribution schemes , (ii) construction of hill lakes and/or other sustainable water retention/storage facilities (iii) adoption of efficient, cost-effective, and fit-for-purpose on-farm irrigation, (iv) and improved governance and management of water for agriculture in the area towards sustainable, equitable, and efficient water use.
Within this framework, WeWorld-GVC seeks to recruit a Site Engineer (SE) to supervise the implementation of the irrigation component, as well as manage the labour-intensive/cash-for-work modality applied.
The main responsibility of the SE is to lead, in collaboration with the rest of the WeWorld-GVC team, in conducting a detailed assessment/survey of the existing irrigation infrastructure and identify needs for rehabilitation of canals (more than 25km as a pre-estimate) and the potential location of new irrigation canals (more than 10 km as a pre-estimate). SE tasks will include a preliminary design of the needed interventions with indicative BoQs, progress reporting, site construction works supervising, and assisting community mobilization for all activities in the project. The target area for works is expected to cover: Aarsal, Al Ain, Ras Baalbek, Bajjaje, Fekehe, Laboue, Qaa, Nabi Osmane, and Zaboud.
Assessment, Design, and Implementation of Works (60%)
- Conduct on-field technical assessments of the irrigation canals following procedures and plans prepared by the PM;
- Ensure assessment data is regularly updated through a georeferenced database;
- Identify, together with the LED team, priority locations/segments to be rehabilitated or constructed;
- For selected locations, prepare preliminary technical designs and BoQs of the proposed interventions;
- Determine the viability of the extension of the irrigation scheme by carrying out a preliminary topographic survey and pre-feasibility design of a technical intervention, to be contracted out to engineering firms for detailed design;
- Accompany the PM and team in meetings with communities, farmers, and institutions to negotiate and decide on interventions to be carried out;
- Assist the PM in the procurement process for selection of the consulting company assigned to carry out the technical study, definitive BoQs, and construction works tender documents;
- Supervise the consulting company during the execution of the assignment;
- Assist the PM in the procurement process for selection of the works contractor assigned to carry out the implementation of construction works;
- Guarantee the compliance of interventions with Lebanese regulations (standards, environmental protection, safety);
- Supervise the implementation of construction works including QA/QC, review of contractors’ reports, verification of executed quantities, preparation of service orders, etc.
- Prepare drafts/drawings/sketches as needed to clarify site instructions and verify compliance with safety procedures;
- Conduct regular field visits and meetings with team members to share progress and find practical solutions to daily site problems facing the execution of works;
- Convey progress, comments, problems etc. to LED PM;
- Prepare weekly and monthly work plans;
- Assist in the implementation of the action plan, review achievement and constraints, and provide timely feedback accordingly;
- Train and supervise junior staff and/or site supervisors if relevant, and support in technical training of operators, surveyors, partners’ staff, and other external stakeholder.
Coordination and representation (25%)
- Under the supervision or delegation of the PM, communicate with Local Authorities, the Bekaa Water Establishment, Local Associations, and other public and communal stakeholders;
- Facilitate the implementation of the works by ensuring information flow to the communities and adopting the most representative stakeholder involvement approach that ensures equity;
- Communicate periodically with target communities to explain the project and all benefits or risks involved, explaining scenarios/options from a technical point of view;
- Establish contacts with relevant counterparts (technical coordinators from other agencies) and share with them techniques, knowledge, and approaches related to construction works;
- Represent WW-GVC appropriately to the community, to other NGOs, and to institutional partners;
- Facilitate coordination between Contractors, BWE, Partners, Communities, and Local Authorities.
- Prepare accurate weekly field progress reports about the works progress and timely reports about specific activities;
- Guarantee that all the technical documentation is properly filled, updated and classified, and activities are reported on a georeferenced database, including irrigation data, needs, works implemented, photo documentation etc;
- Participate in the tracking of monitoring indicators and preparation of donor progress and impact reports by providing the needed information;
- Communicate to the PM any issues which may have a direct impact on the implementation of the project and the organisation’s activities in the area;
- Ensure proper visibility of WW-GVC and the donor in actions and towards beneficiary communities.
- University degree or equivalent in Civil/Hydraulic Engineering or equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 years of engineering experience in construction works implementation/supervision;
- Proven experience in irrigation infrastructure rehabilitation or extension;
- Previous experience in Lebanon;
- Proven experience in managing labour-intensive/cash-for-work implementation modalities.
Skills and Abilities
- Good written and spoken communication skills;
- Ability to maintain professional relationships with partner organizations, public institutions, and service providers;
- Capacity to work autonomously and in problem prevention/resolution;
- Integrity in line with WeWorld-GVC’s values and ethical standards;
- Cultural, gender, religion, and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Availability to commit for a long-term deployment.
- Professional use of both written and spoken English;
- Native Arabic speaker.
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint;
- Professional skills in CAD.
Desirable skills and competencies
- More than 8 years of engineering experience;
- Previous experience working with public utilities;
- Professional skills in GIS;
- Experience in North Bekaa;
- Experience across multiple areas of Lebanon and with diverse communities and teams
- The application should be in English including: CV and Motivation Letter, please to save them in a folder under your full name.
- Please submit your application write as Subject of the Email the Reference number and Job Position as follows; GVC Ref 202104_02 "Site Engineer-(Irrigation Infrastructure)_(National Contract)".
- Applications in Arabic will not be considered.
- Deadline for submitting the application:06th of May 2021 (Applications received after this deadline will not be considered).
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- GVC encourage people with special needs to apply.