Project Manager (Projektkoordinator)
- Beirut, Lebanon
Freedom, justice and solidarity are the basic principles underlying the work of the Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung (KAS). The KAS is a political foundation, closely associated with the Christian Democratic Union of Germany (CDU).In our European and international cooperation efforts we work for people to be able to live self-determined lives in freedom and dignity. We make a contribution underpinned by values to helping Germany meet its growing responsibilities throughout the world.
We encourage people to lend a hand in shaping the future along these lines. With more than 107 offices abroad and projects in over 120 countries, we make a unique contribution to the promotion of democracy, the rule of law and a social market economy. To foster peace and freedom we encourage a continuous dialog at the national and international levels as well as the exchange between cultures and religions.
We cooperate with governmental institutions, political parties, civil society organizations, building strong partnerships along the way. In particular we seek to intensify political cooperation in the area of development cooperation at the national and international levels on the foundations of our objectives and values.
Through its country offices in the Middle East, the Konrad Adenauer Foundation assists the political, economic, and social development in the region. We want to contribute in a sustainable way to the rooting and the reinforcement of democracy, the rule of law, and civil society, to the development and the consolidation of social market economy structures, to the avoidance of violent conflict, to the consolidation of cooperation within the region and with Europe, as well as to a constructive dialogue between cultures and religions.The country programme Lebanon engages in several activities for its mission and aims. These activities take the form of conferences, seminars, workshops, and forums for dialogue to debates or round tables. Further, it issues publications and engages with policy makers.
- independently managing the projects (BMs and IBs) for the Lebanon Program in accordance with the tasks and project goals, and activities agreed with the partner and/or agreements with the superior
- providing professional advice to partners and cooperating with important stakeholders.
The Project Manager performs the following tasks:
1. Professional advisory services
- advises partner institutions in identifying needs, developing concepts and strategies, and provides technical input
- contributes to preparing and implementing the coordination process, project/program activities and work in Lebanon
- formulates job descriptions and terms of reference and selects third parties in the course of carrying out project/program activities
- monitors the development and implementation of project/program plans and activities in close consultation with partners
- organizes and participates in official events, meetings, workshops, seminars and other events on issues related to the project/program’s area of activity
- develops and monitors project progress and the activities of BMs and IBs, including narrative and financial reporting, reviews reports and documents on the progress of the project/program, identifies bottlenecks and recommends alternative options to the superior
- conducts political, economic and legal analyzes and drafts periodical articles, fact sheets and reports
- is responsible for ensuring that the services provided by the BMs and IBs are aligned with the partner’s needs
- drafts project proposal for third parties and third-party-funds (EU, UN etc.)
- prepares and implements educational activities like i.e. organizing visiting delegations to and form Germany and the EU.
- contributes to the regular planning updates
- communicates with KAS headquarters and other regional KAS offices.
2. Networking and cooperation
- ensures cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners and other KAS offices in the region; plans and carries out PR and media work and cooperates with local communities, relevant organisations, non-governmental agencies and individuals in the project/program environment and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationships
- contributes to the updating and following up of the webpage of KAS Lebanon
- communicates local interests and efforts, forwards these and encourages sharing ideas and information for the benefit of the project/program
- travels (in Lebanon and abroad) in accordance with project requirements.
3. Knowledge management
- draws up reports and presentation documents
- formulates appropriate input for various project/program reports including annual reports, and contributes to the other reports required by the superior
- conducts research activities and studies on political issues which benefit the program/project
- writes country reports
4. Management and coordination tasks
- is responsible for program/project planning and develops project concepts and strategies, ensures implementation
- coordinates and prioritises relevant project activities at local level in cooperation with the partners, both as regards the organisational preparation and implementation of the activities
- monitors the program/project budget in consultation with the accountant
- compiles the relevant information for activities and assignments.
5. Other duties/additional tasks
- files relevant documents related to the project/program according to KAS regulations (i.e. in Favorit digital database)
- oversees and implements the office`s social media strategy
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of the superior.
- M.A. degree in an area related to the project/program objectives, preferably in Political/ Social Sciences, or Middle Eastern Studies.
- minimum 3-5 years of professional experience, including previous experience in project management and/or comparable responsibility in a multi-national work environment.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- motivated, proactive and dynamic personality
- strong analytical, organizational, communication and writing skills
- wide interest in history, state institutions, and the political development in Lebanon and the region
- familiarity with non-European cultural and political environments, preferably Middle East
- capability and willingness to work both independently and as part of a team
- ability to prioritize and multi-task effectively; to work under pressure
- highly organized with strong attention to detail and precision, ensuring high quality standards are maintained
- proven IT skills
- fluent written and oral knowledge of English and Arabic is essential
- knowledge of German and/or French would be an asset
- excellent diplomatic and networking skills and a deep understanding of political processes; experience of high level representation and interaction on behalf of KAS
- professional and personal identification with and full commitment to the values and principles of KAS as a German political foundation.
Interested candidates who fulfill the above mentioned criteria are invited to submit applications (letter of motivation, curriculum vitae, references, salary expectations) by June 30, 2021 at Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung, 23 Benoît Barakat St, Jabre Building, Badaro – Beirut or send through E-mail to Dr. Malte Gaier
For more information on the Lebanon Programme and its work, please consult our website: https://www.kas.de/en/web/libanon