Senior Graphic Designer - Mapping and Visualization
- Beirut, Lebanon
The Beirut Urban Lab is a collaborative and interdisciplinary research space. The Lab produces scholarship on urbanization by documenting and analyzing ongoing transformation processes in Lebanon and its region's natural and built environments. It intervenes as an interlocutor and contributor to academic debates about historical and contemporary urbanization from its position in the Global South. We work towards materializing our vision of an ecosystem of change empowered by critical inquiry and engaged research, and driven by committed urban citizens and collectives aspiring to just, inclusive, and viable cities.
Founded as the Urban Lab in the Maroun Semaan Faculty of Engineering and Architecture (MSFEA) at the American University of Beirut, the lab's main objective is the consolidation and institutionalization of collaborative work and the materialization of a common vision for an academic entity that contributes to an ecosystem of change aspiring to just, inclusive and viable cities. The Lab includes a group of talented and motivated researchers, many of whom started as students in the Architecture and Design department at AUB, who joined the team after working on causes that intersect with its values, or chose the Lab as a space where they can advance their careers as young researchers and designers.
The Beirut Urban Lab is looking to hire a full-time senior mapping and data visualization designer to work at the Urban lab's visualization unit which produces maps, infographics and other data visualizations accompanying research efforts carried out by the Lab.
The designer's main task will be to conceptualize, design and produce maps and other infographics, supporting research efforts around urban issues such as building developments in Beirut, protection of the seafront, urban recovery, urban governance, public spaces, and others. The Lab is currently building an online urban observatory with multiple geo-referenced outputs about recovery in post-blast Beirut, which is the primary project the designer will be working on.
This person will work with and report to the Critical Mapping Research Lead.
- Engage in discussion sessions with research teams to better understand research results and/or directions
- Work within a small design team to propose visualization directions for a particular dataset or project
- Coordinate regularly with data/GIS and field research teams in the lab
- Refine, edit and finalize maps and data visualizations based on decisions taken by the team
- Prepare final artwork of maps aimed for either publishing in print or web (geo-portal, newspaper article, book, exhibition, website, etc.)
- Occasionally assist in the logistics for organizing events around data visualization and mapping
- Candidates should have a Master's degree in Graphic design, Communication Design, Urban design, Architecture, or a related design discipline. Undergraduate degrees with equivalent experience could be considered.
- Knowledge of desktop publishing software (Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign…) is required, knowledge of web publishing software is a plus.
- Knowledge of digital mapping platforms and GIS is also required, at least at an introductory level to facilitate initial training in the Lab’s licensed mapping tools (ESRI ArcGIS products).
- Candidates need to be able to work in English, Arabic is a plus.
The contract is for one year, renewable. Compensation is commensurate with education and relevant experience.
Please send your CV and portfolio with a cover letter stating your interest in the job using the line “Urban Lab Design Position" in the email title. Applications will be reviewed regularly and evaluation will be conducted on rolling basis, until position is filled.