This position will support the definition of experimental approaches, conduct and coordinate experimental work, analyze results, complete documentation, and ensure that process & washcoat rheology control of catalyst formulations is optimized, understood, and communicated to the rest of the organization.
- Execute scientific studies where needed to support understanding and to develop improved processes (e.g. rheology, adhesion, drying effects, particle size, adsorption, etc), including catalyst preparation.
- Initiate and support lab scale capital projects including equipment or instrument upgrades.
- Hands-on experimentation related to washcoat rheology, adhesion, and catalyst processing investigations.
- Ensure scientific studies are designed and conducted in a resource-effective manner.
- Provide program plans, description sheets and data summaries for all experiments conducted in the form defined by the QMS.
- Interact with internal JM departments to develop and maintain an understanding of key performance characteristics of novel catalyst technology.
- Interact with key technical staff, and suppliers when appropriate.
- Notify appropriate personnel of any safety related issues regarding use of materials or equipment.
- Operate all equipment and instrumentation for catalyst preparation and experimental studies in a safe manner and keep working areas safe and clean.
- Handle all chemicals in a safe and proper manner with regard to chemical properties and procedures listed on MSDS sheets. Properly dispose of waste generated by preparations and experiments.
- Support on technology scale-up teams when required.
- Coordinate the packaging and shipment of parts for offsite projects or technical centers.
- Work with the Maintenance department to address equipment repairs or upgrades.
- Prepare and update process guidelines.
- Maintain inventory of experimental samples. Responsible for accurate accounting of PGM following defined procedures.
- Comply with all Johnson Matthey Hazardous Waste procedures and local, state, and federal regulatory requirements.
- Comply with all environmental & health and safety federal, state, local regulations and company policies