Editing & Writing Internship
- 1904 3rd Ave Suite 417
We are Jolkona, a nonprofit tech startup based in Seattle, WA. We offer a solution to people who want to see exactly where their donation dollars go by connecting them with global philanthropic projects via our network of partners (for as little as $5!). Every donation made on Jolkona goes straight to the project chosen, and every donor receives one-to-one level proof of feedback – whether it’s a photo, a story, or a video – allowing each donor to see the exact impact that they have made. Our mission is to create a ripple effect of change and show the world that everyone can change the world today.
Jolkona is powered by two fulltime employees and 20+ skilled volunteers and interns. We are young, passionate, and out to change the face of philanthropy.
Mission: To connect people with global philanthropic opportunities and show the impact of one’s donations.
Do you have a way with words? Are you driven by stories? Do you want to gain job experience while interning with a group of passionate your professionals who are changing the face of philanthropy?
Jolkona is looking for an editor and writer to manage our blog and help tell our story online. You will gain experience in writing, blogging, content strategy, social media, and SEO. We offer a fun, collaborative environment and an opportunity to make an impact!
- Create and maintain the editorial calendar and manage content from multiple authors.
- Edit posts for style, grammar, and spelling; select photos to upload with post in WordPress; optimize post for selected keywords.
- Content creation - writing blog posts, articles, newsletters, communications materials, and material for social media channels.
- Work with the content team on writing donor and impact stories.
Ideal Experience & Qualifications:
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Prior blogging/writing experience and the ability to write for multiple audiences
- Independent, creative self-starter
- Spends a lot of time online and stays up-do-date on new and fun things out there for web savvy users as well as regular people.
- Experience with WordPress
- Currently pursuing or recently graduated with a degree in Writing, English, Journalism, or Communications
- Looking for experience in editorial management, content strategy, writing, SEO, link-building, community management
- 10-20 hours a week, usually split over 3 days in our office in downtown Seattle.
- Our office is laid back and fun, though it’s BYOC (bring your own computer).
- Must be able to attend all company wide meetings (usually one every other month).
As a web content intern, you have a lot of flexibility in where you can do your work and how it can be done. You will be expected to fulfill the majority of your internship while working in our office located in downtown Seattle. (Let’s face it, it’s way easier to learn if you’re in the same room as us). Opportunity to occasionally work from home may be an option as the internship progresses.
All internships are unpaid and for credit only.
- Exposure to the startup nonprofit world
- Opportunity to place this position and company on your resume
- Letter of recommendation upon successful completion of tasks
- Referrals on LinkedIn
- Ability to build on your portfolio
- Credit offered at most Universities (please ask for specific credit questions)
- Experience working in a growing and fast paced, startup environment