Dealer Development Manager
- Assumption, IL
The GSI Group is a world class manufacturer of grain storage, material handling, conditioning and drying equipment, as well as a full line of supplier of swine and poultry production equipment. The company has grown from a small family owned operation in the 1930’s, to an impressive and diverse group of AG-related companies with annual sales nearing $1 billion. The company has 5 additional manufacturing facilities in Illinois, plus one in Alabama. International manufacturing sites for GSI include: Malaysia, South Africa, Mexico, Brazil and China. GSI products are marketed worldwide through a network of independent dealers, grain/protein producers, and large commercial businesses. In October of 2011, GSI entered into a merger agreement with AGCO (NYSE: AGCO), a $6.9 billion agricultural company with strong international distribution and well-known brands.
The original product line of steel farm and commercial storage grain bins continues to be marketed under the brand Grain Systems, Inc. The GSI Group also sells other well-known brands that were acquired since the 1970’s. These include:
- Farm Fans (FFI Corporation)
- Zimmerman Grain Dryers
- DMC (David Manufacturing Company) – grain handling & conditioning equipment
- AP (Automated Production Systems) – Swine feeders, watering systems, ventilation & heating equipment, feed storage a delivery, flooring and confinement equipment.
- Cumberland – World-class poultry production
- Hired-Hand – Equipment for the livestock and horticulture industries
GSI Group headquarters are in Assumption, Illinois just 20 miles south of Decatur and 40 miles Southeast of Springfield. The cost of living in this area ranges from 10% to 18% below the national average, and our winning candidate will have a wide variety of choices of where to live – all within a reasonable commuting distance. Options range from a very small Midwestern town up to the suburbs of the Capitol city of Springfield, with a metropolitan area population of over 200,000. Some candidates may even find it intriguing that they could have their own farmhouse and some land, and still live less than 15 minutes from the office.
The Manager, Dealer Development position has been created to provide a dedicated focus on the distribution channel for GSI NA. Today, there are approximately 500 authorized dealers selling GSI Group products in North and Central America. Dealer demographics range in size from “mom and pop” operations to large corporations with an AG Industry focus. This large variation in individual dealer size brings with it similar disparities in the strength of management, product support, sales, and financial capabilities among dealers selling and supporting GSI products.
GSI NA remains fully committed to expanding sales through their dealer network. The Manager, Dealer Development will be responsible for identifying opportunities to improve dealer performance within individual territories. Developing and executing the necessary strategic and tactical plans for each opportunity identified will be required to meet the performance metrics of GSI NA.
During the past 40 years, changes in GSI’s dealer distribution network were often addressed based on the immediate need or as a result of a new company or product acquisition. Although efforts have always been made to maximize the benefits of using a dealer organization, they have not always been consistent or sustainable. A strong commitment has now been made by the GSI NA Senior Management Team to invest the resources required to develop a distribution network that offers more consistent customer support, and improved sales and margins at GSI and for dealers to be fairly rewarded for their efforts.
To be successful will require meeting 4 key objectives as noted below:
- Assess the current dealer network
- Develop the future dealer strategy
- Execute the dealer strategy
- Develop, implement, and refine tools to help preferred dealers grow
The Manager, Dealer Development can have a significant impact on the growth and profitability of GSI North America by successfully improving overall dealer performance. This is a highly visible role and sustained, excellent performance can lead to growth in responsibility for the long-run.
- Prior successful Dealer Development experience – Ideally this includes interaction with both small “mom & pop” and large corporate dealers.
- Sound business acumen – Must be confident reading and interpreting financial statements. This includes a firm grasp of margins, pricing, and product line profitability concepts.
- Agriculture background is not required – but will help to shorten your industry “learning curve”. Please explain your past association with the North American AG Industry.
- Dealer Rationalization Experience – It is highly probable that the strategic plans developed will identify individual requirements to consolidate, eliminate, or realign dealer relationships.
- Solid communication skills – Verbal, written, listening and presentation skills must all be at the managerial level; must have the tact and professionalism to effectively communicate internally and throughout the dealer channel.
- Negotiation & Conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrated Leadership Skills without having direct authority.
- Comfortable with business travel up to 50%
- Education – GSI NA strongly desires that candidates have a BA or BS degree from an accredited college or university. An MBA will definitely be a plus. Although the degree requirement may be waived for candidates with a wealth of progressive channel development experience, not having a 4-year degree may limit future growth potential within GSI/AGCO.
- Relocation – Must be committed to expedite a prompt family move to the Assumption, IL area.
- Non-compete – Must not be encumbered by any type of restrictive non-compete agreement.
Interested potential candidates should review the full position description (see link below) – for a complete list of the Desired Qualifications.
This Manager will enjoy a competitive base salary, an attractive bonus opportunity, a solid company benefit plan, and a generous relocation assistance package – to help provide a smooth transition to his/her new residence in the greater Assumption, Illinois area.
Interested in Learning More? Jordan-Sitter Associates (JSA) has been placing mid to senior level managers with North American based manufacturers and distributors of capital equipment for 34 years. We have recently been exclusively retained to fill this key Management level role at GSI Corporation.
Our JSA Executive Team has worked directly with GSI senior management to gather enough information to create a comprehensive position description for this role, which we have posted to our website, as a PDF document. Click the following link to view the full position description for this Manager, Dealer Development opportunity at GSI Group.