[2021-2022] Lead Teacher - Middle School (Founding and Existing Sites)
- New York, NY, USA
- Department: Teacher
- Grade Level: Middle
- Start Date: Next year opening
KIPP NYC Public Schools is a non-profit network of free, public charter schools that prepares students for success in college and life. In 1995 we started our first middle school, KIPP Academy, in The Bronx. Our goal was to graduate students with the strength of character and academic abilities needed to succeed in high school, college and beyond – and in so doing, to prove what is possible for all students. Today, our New York City network is comprised of seven elementary schools, seven middle schools, one high school, and KIPP Through College and Career, a comprehensive support program for our alumni. KIPP NYC Public Schools currently serves more than 6000 students and alumni and has a staff of more than 700. KIPP NYC is continuing to grow and will be opening two new middle schools and an elementary school in August 2021!
About KIPP NYC Middle Schools:
- KIPP Academy Middle School, South Bronx, founded in 1995: http://bit.ly/AcademyMiddle
- KIPP AMP Middle School, Crown Heights, BK, founded in 2005: http://bit.ly/AMPMiddle
- KIPP Infinity Middle School, Harlem, founded in 2005: http://bit.ly/INFMiddle
- KIPP Freedom Middle School, the Bronx, founded in 2018: http://bit.ly/FreedomMiddle
- KIPP STAR Middle School, Harlem, founded in 2003: http://bit.ly/StarMiddle
- KIPP Washington Heights Middle School, Washington Heights, founded in 2012: http://bit.ly/WashHeightsMS
- KIPP ALL Middle School, the Bronx, founded in 2019: http://bit.ly/AllMiddle
- KIPP Beyond Middle School, Harlem, opening Summer 2021: http://lnk.kippnyc.org/BeyondMS
- New Founding MS, the Bronx, opening Summer 2021: http://lnk.kippnyc.org/BXMS2021
KIPP NYC is currently looking for teachers in all subjects who combine the ability to motivate and educate, who develop academic as well as character skills, and who make college preparatory education relevant both now and for the future.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teaching a rigorous college preparatory curriculum which combines the school’s standards and the New York State standards
- Teaching students in a high-quality, exciting way
- Committing to constant professional and personal growth through working closely as part of a team of teachers
- Using data to drive decisions
- Constantly assessing student progress, and communicating results to families and colleagues
- Providing individual or small group instruction for students who need additional assistance
- Modeling a “whatever it takes” spirit to ensure that each student is successful
- Modeling the school’s values in all communications with students, families, and staff
- Strong interpersonal skills that contribute to a collegial working environment and a healthy measure of the character traits we value: zest, grit, hope, love, social intelligence, gratitude and a sense of humor.
- At least two years of teaching experience strongly preferred
- New York State teacher certification in the appropriate content area
- Bachelor’s degree required
- A passion for being part of a team-oriented, mission-driven school culture
- A strong desire to become a better teacher by joining the KIPP NYC team and family
- Demonstrated success in raising the achievement levels of students from the communities KIPP NYC serves
This description is intended to describe the type of work being performed by a person assigned to this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by the employee.
KIPP NYC LLC is an anti-racist organization that believes in the importance of being diverse, equitable, and inclusive. We are committed to creating a welcoming environment that includes employees with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We believe that enables us to better meet our mission and values while serving students and families throughout New York City. BIPOC, women, gender expansive, LGBTQIA+, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
KIPP NYC LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. KIPP NYC LLC is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment.