[2023-2024] Teacher in Residence
- Department: Teaching Fellow
- Start Date: Next year opening
KIPP NYC Public Schools is a non-profit network of free, public charter schools that prepares students for success in college and life. In 1995 we started our first middle school, KIPP Academy, in The Bronx. Our goal was to graduate students with the strength of character and academic abilities needed to succeed in high school, college and beyond – and in so doing, to prove what is possible for all students. Today, our New York City network is comprised of eight elementary schools, nine middle schools, one high school, and KIPP Forward, a comprehensive support program for our alumni. KIPP NYC Public Schools currently serves more than 9,350 students and alumni, has a staff of more than 1,000, and continues to grow!
About the Teacher-In-Residence Program:
The Teacher-In-Residence program offers aspiring K-12 teachers a unique opportunity to receive high-quality training at a KIPP NYC school. Individuals will have a high-performing KIPP teacher who serves as a mentor and advisor for the entire school year. Teachers-In-Residence receive extensive weekly training and deliberate practice through a targeted professional development series for beginning teachers, allowing for a structured, supportive and more sustainable on-ramp into the teaching profession. This program is best suited for individuals who are passionate and committed to teaching as a long-term career path, but have 0 years of full-time lead teaching experience.
- For Candidates without NYS Certification:
- Required enrollment in MA in Teaching program at Relay Graduate School of Education; includes recommendation for NYS Transitional-B Certification
- Full-Time Teaching Role at a KIPP NYC School with targeted professional development (see roles & responsibilities below)
For Candidates Teachers in Residence who are enrolled in or have already completed necessary undergraduate or graduate level coursework and are on a pathway towards NYS Initial Certification:
Full-Time Teaching Role at a KIPP NYC school with targeted professional development (see roles & responsibilities below
Certification Bonus in addition to base Teacher-in-Residence Salary upon confirmed receipt of NYS Initial Certification
Duties and Responsibilities:
Teachers-In-Residence will assume the same schedule as a full-time KIPP NYC teacher. Duties and responsibilities will include:
- Developing teaching skills through regular feedback and coaching.
- Providing individual, small, and whole group instruction for students through gradual onboarding.
- Leading or co-facilitating an advisory.
- Engaging in regional, cohort, school and content-based professional and personal development.
- Constantly assessing student progress and communicating results to families and colleagues.
- Modeling the school’s values in all communications with students, families, and staff.
- High level of organization and professionalism.
- Bachelor’s degree (if currently in school, expected Bachelor’s degree by June 2023).
- A 2.75 GPA (2.75 is required to be a matriculated student at Relay Graduate School of Education; will consider a 2.5 or higher on a conditional basis)
- Zest, grit, hope, social intelligence, gratitude, and a sense of humor.
- A passion for being part of a team-oriented, mission-driven school culture.
- Open to feedback and willing to constantly, reflect, improve, and learn.
- Desire and commitment to teach in a K-12 setting for at least three years after the first year of the residency.
- Proficiency in Spanish a plus.
Compensation and Benefits:
KIPP NYC offers a competitive salary of $58,500 for all Teachers in Residence. Teachers in Residence who already hold their NYS Initial Teaching licensure are also eligible for an additional $8,250.
KIPP NYC offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental and vision coverages. Other benefits include retirement plan, flexible spending accounts, life insurance and supplemental benefits offerings.
This description is intended to describe the type of work being performed by a person assigned to this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by the employee.
KIPP NYC LLC is an anti-racist organization that believes in the importance of being diverse, equitable, and inclusive. We are committed to creating a welcoming environment that includes employees with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We believe that enables us to better meet our mission and values while serving students and families throughout New York City. BIPOC, women, gender expansive, LGBTQIA+, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
KIPP NYC LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. KIPP NYC LLC is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment.