Senior Systems Administrator
- Cincinnati, OH
Our client is a true technology innovator providing transformative supply chain technology solutions to a client base of over 10,000 corporate users worldwide. Over the past five years, more than 300 of the Fortune 1000 and Forbes Global 1000 companies have implemented their solutions! They are looking to bring aboard a Senior Systems Administrator.
In this role, your responsibilities will include: technical design, planning, implementation, and the highest level of performance tuning and recovery procedures for mission critical enterprise systems. Serves as a technical expert in the area of system administration for complex operating systems. Recommends the design and configuration of operating systems and system applications. Investigates and analyzes feasibility of system requirements and develops system specifications. Identifies methods, solutions, and provides project leadership and management in order to provide a high level of service to the customers of the department. Performs full supervision of Operations staff.
Engineering and Projects
- Serve as lead technical resource for Projects to implement new or upgrade / migrate existing core systems, especially with Active Directory, storage, Linux, and Window, including:
- Planning of required phases, activities, and tasks.
- Defining scope and requirements.
- Performing research and product evaluations.
- Defining system architecture.
- Installing, configuring, and engineering of the desired solution.
- Coordinating with other technical resources such as DBA’s, Network Engineers, and Desktop Standards staff.
- Defining operational processes and procedures.
- Performing implementation and migration.
- Stay abreast of industry and technology best practices to ensure engineering decisions are based on mature and proven approaches.
- Support Projects for non-core systems such as 3rd party packaged applications, provisioning server and operating system resources per provided specifications, and establishing standard operational processes.
- Engineer and implement solutions to address day to day or longer term operational needs.
- Research and implement innovative and wherever possible automated approaches for system administration tasks.
- Contribute to and maintain system administration standards and operational procedures.
Operations and Support
- Perform daily system monitoring and validation to ensure the integrity and availability of systems and processes.
- Respond to and address any issues that arise during and after business hours, typically in response to alerts from our monitoring systems.
- Repair and recover systems when needed.
- Communicate and coordinate with other team members and peer technical teams such as DBA’s or Network Engineers.
- Provide Tier III support when issues are escalated by Help Desk.
- Apply OS patches and Service Packs on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities.
- Maintain operational, configuration, or other documentation / procedures.
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required.
- Stays current with technological developments in systems administration technology and recommends ways for PCC to take advantage of new technology.
- Bachelor (4-year) degree with a technical major such as engineering or computer science, or work experience and proficiency in technical analysis and written technical reports.
- Four years progressively responsible Microsoft system administration, Linux Red Hat system administration, storage management, Virtual environment (VMWare) management experience and with two years within an enterprise-scale environment (at least 1,000 users).
· 8+ years in an enterprise class IT or managed service organization
· 7-10 years of experience with enterprise storage platforms (EMC Celerra Clariion, Isilon, Netapp)
· 5-7 years of experience with Linux operating systems and Window operating systems
· Expert scripting skills in one of the following languages (ksh/bash/perl/SQL)
· Expert in data storage protocols including CIFS, FC, FCoE, iSCSI, and NFS
· Knowledge of TCP/IP networking DNS, LDAP, NFS, SMTP, Linux Account Management as well as Window Active Directory.
· Extensive knowledge of storage in highly virtualized VMware environments
· Knowledge of Debian, Red Hat, Ubuntu, and Windows operating systems
· Working knowledge of the ITIL v3 foundation
- Experience using tools such as Network Monitor and Process Monitor in order to perform detailed/highly technical troubleshooting.