Systems Administrator (Linux and Windows)
- Los Angeles, CA
With offices all over the globe, the Moving Picture Company (MPC) is one of the world's leading visual effects studios, creating high-end VFX for the advertising and feature film industries. Developing new visual effects techniques and creating cutting edge productivity tools is vital to MPC’s continued success. Working primarily with our VR Department we are currently seeking a Senior Systems Administrator to join our team in Los Angeles.
The Systems team is responsible for designing, installing, maintaining and troubleshooting the technology infrastructure. This includes, but is not limited to, storage, networking, workstations and rendering. It also includes the various software elements around both the core operating system(s) and the various application layer components that are deployed upon that framework.
The Systems Administrator does not wait for activity. They seek opportunities for improvement and continually challenge the status quo looking for methods to improve the services we deliver to our clients. The ideal candidate will have the ability to respond promptly and directly to problems in high pressure client attended sessions and resolve issues in a calm and efficient manner. They will also work closely with our larger worldwide Systems team to continue to define and implement best practices.
The Systems Administrator is encouraged to propose and lead projects that will advance the technology framework. This includes elements of project management, communication across other departments and delegation of tasks and coordination of schedules.
- Contingency planning, setting/meeting milestones, coordinating communications and ensuring that documentation and support needs are accommodated
- Actively mentor and assist in the technical development of mid and junior staff
- Be an example of technical excellence
- Install, support and maintain servers and storage file systems
- Ensure systems run reliably, plan for and implement upcoming requirements, and respond to service outages or other systems related problems
- System performance optimisation
- Scripting and light programming
- A high functioning knowledge of one or more of the following: Linux, storage and networking
- A working knowledge of a scripting languages (Shell, Python or Perl)
- A pragmatic approach to project delivery, training and documentation
- A thorough grounding in storage and networking concepts and techniques
- Experience of virtualization systems, performance benchmarking and database administration
- Strong self-guided problem solving skills
- Autonomous, resourceful, positive and calm in a production oriented environment
- A commitment to teamwork, excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Previous extensive experience in a Linux systems administrator role
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Systems Engineering or related field
- Experience with collaborating on projects, including the use of source control and reviewing patches
- Experience with distributed systems and TCP/IP networking
- Familiarity with software packages like Maya, Nuke and Houdini helpful
- Experience working in a multi-site or global setup
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.